HELP!! Trying to wire in my cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've undone the wall box to connect my cooker and the wires feeding into the box from the left are RED EARTH BROWN. From my cooker, the wires are BLUE EARTH BROWN. I've connected them in that order shut the box turned on the power and the oven doesn't work!! Have I done it wrong? Tim :(

Sponsored Links
Hi Tim,

Sounds to me like you are dealing with discoloured black which now looks brown (for the original wiring) or that somebody has used a piece of brown cable as a neutral.

If I were doing that job and from the description you have posted, I would read:-

RED=Brown
EARTH=Earth
BROWN=Blue

where the LHS is the old wiring.

If you are unsure of what you are doing I would advise calling in an electrician. You may get more help if you can post a picture of the old cooker outlet wiring.

timfromdevon said:
Hi I've undone the wall box to connect my cooker and the wires feeding into the box from the left are RED EARTH BROWN. From my cooker, the wires are BLUE EARTH BROWN. I've connected them in that order shut the box turned on the power and the oven doesn't work!! Have I done it wrong? Tim :(

red earth brown? something sounds dodgy.

use a multimeter to find out what is live and whats not. then connect cooker to this.

this is how it should be done

old>new
red>brown (live)
black>blue (neutral)
green/yellow>green/yellow (earth)

Sponsored Links
Hey thanks for that, just connected it.....sitting down with a nice cheese on toast now, great grill - weird wiring!! Thank you for your help. Tim :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back