WHICH NUTS TO TIGHTEN TO REMOVE RADIATOR ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could someone please advise as to which nuts to tighten to remove an old radiator...i am attaching two urls showing pics of nuts..the first pic shows nut under thermostatic control ( which i have removed( so i guess i tighten that one..but second pic shows a spindle type thingy & two further nuts below it ( which i have numbered) could someone therefore advise which nut(s) i need to tighten to close of water while radiator is removed..many thanks
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r79/worcesterman47/UNTITLED1.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r79/worcesterman47/untitled2.jpg

Sponsored Links
on pic 2, tighten 1 (very top)

on most TRVs, if you turn right down it will turn off completly

the spindley looking one its no 1

And your Thermostatic valve needs a head on it cos none of those nuts will shut it off

Sponsored Links
hi, so let me try to understand this..the last reply quoted....................

"And your Thermostatic valve needs a head on it cos none of those nuts will shut it off"

so then, the spindle looking valve in pic 2 will turn off one supply of water to/from radiator.....but the nut i highlighted in pic 1..will not turn off any water in/out..is that correct?... i am now abit confused as another previous reply said to turn spindle (pic 2) right down & did not disagree with my option in pic 1 to turn off water in/out using highlighted nut..so if i close down spindle looking valve (pic 2) & also the nut highlighted in pic 1..will it or wont it actually stop water being fed to radiator ?

OK picture number one is A TRV have you got the head for it?

Picture number two can be shut off by highlited no 1

hi...sime10 said
" OK picture number one is A TRV have you got the head for it?

...do you mean by a TRV ..the actual thing i turn to regulate hot water into radiator ie turn to 1,2,3 etc..if thats what is meant then yes i have it but took it off to show the connection to it in picture...if i put it back on and turn it down to zero..will that close off the water entering radiator ?..many thanks again

Yes it will, as long as it's working and stays warm enough. Sometimes a small coin placed so as to help push the pin down, under the head, is useful.

Pic 2 is gorn, by the way.

thanks...will try to do the radiator asap..as it looks like its on its last legs...as for pic 2 being " gorn " :D ..i know i accidently deleted it..old age you see..its a terrible thing :D ..but seriously thanks for all your help & advice !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back