Wall & Plaster Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

After searching loads of pages, I cannot find post similar to the problem I'm facing, so some help is greatly appreciated. My problem lies with one wall, which is internal and seperates the master bedroom from the second bedroom. The side of the wall with the problem is in the second bedroom.

The problem? Well I'm not completly sure of all the terminologies, so I'll describe it the best way i can. We just wanted to re-decorate the room and to cut a long story short, we stripped off the wallpaper to find this one wall appears to be badly plastered. There were quite a few cracks in the plaster, and some of this plaster had come off when we stripped off the wallpaper.

Basically there is a breeze block consistancy (it's not breeze block though) with maybe a couple of hairline cracks in it and then some of the plaster that was on top of this, has come off. Another problem to add with this wall is that some of this 'top coat' of plaster seems sound, doesn't sound hollow, but there are like say 3, 1 meter square patches (not in square shapes, just mish mash) that are ok which is like skin colour and smooth, then the rest of it is as though the previous owner couldn't be bothered to have this whole wall plastered properly and tried to do the rest of this with this other plaster, which is white and chalky and this is the stuff thats coming off.

Should i try and take off the rest of this white chalky plaster stuff that isn't very well attatched to the wall and plaster them bits (this will mean plastering the majority of the wall), leave it and just plaster the holes that are there or take the whole lot of and plaster the whole wall? I would prefer to miss out the called a profession option if possible as money is an issue (Christmas and all). All i want is a nice smooth sound wall so i can wallpaper it and paint the wallpaper and be done with it.

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me that One Coat Plaster has been used incorrectly. Also, by the time you buy tools etc to do the wall yourself then you will be cheaper getting in a Plasterer, to be honest.

Third_Eye said:
Sounds to me that One Coat Plaster has been used incorrectly. Also, by the time you buy tools etc to do the wall yourself then you will be cheaper getting in a Plasterer, to be honest.

Thanks for your time and opinion :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back