Coving problem - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This weekend I put up some plaster coving in my hall and landing, all went really smoothly until I came to the last wall.

The problem is the wall is 'warped' so there is a gap under the coving - this gets progressively larger towards the centre of the coving strip (the max gap is about 15mm!).

To get around this I placed some packing behind the wall side of the cove.

It looks fine when looked straight on but if you look underneath the coving you can see it sits further away from the wall - the gap has been filled with adhesive.

Now I had an idea, shall I replace that piece of cove with polystryene cove? My thinking is the polystryene cove will be flexible and I will be able to pin it to the wall following the warped contour, wait until the adhesive dries and then remove the pins.

I really need some advice urgently as the adhesive on the plaster cove is still drying and i'm still able to pull it off if I decide to replace it that piece with polystryene.

Any help would be great fellas :)

Claire.[/list]

Sponsored Links
It probably looks worse than it is. In a few weeks time you wont be walking/sitting looking at it..

I fill any gaps with adhesive/filler and the paint over in white. Once finished you won't see the difference unless you keep staring at it. Obviously you'll know its there but it will take a trained eye for anyone else to see it.

I've had this problem in the past with plaster coving, what I did to overcome the gap was to drill a hole through the coving and into the wall and pull the coving back using a wall plug and screw, plaster over screw to hide, you'll find this works ok.

Sponsored Links
svenandnancy said:
I've had this problem in the past with plaster coving, what I did to overcome the gap was to drill a hole through the coving and into the wall and pull the coving back using a wall plug and screw, plaster over screw to hide, you'll find this works ok.

That's exactly what I ended up doing - perfect job aswell!!

Many thanks fellas ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back