Whirlpool AWZ-410-100 DRUM STOPPED..only a whirring noise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, did 2washes (a record for me!), then went to do a jacket (which may have had loose change hidden within!)...After a short time, heard lots of loud clunking, near bottom rear (left?)...Left it, and returned to find that the drum has decided it\\\'s had enough!
It still drains etc, but when it comes to spin, it sounds like a little jet plane whirring for about 5-10 secs, then nothing!
It would appear that it is trying to work, but cant!....Can anyone offer advice on what exaclty may have happened? Checked filter, no coins!..Drum moves with no resistance at all, as before, just a whirring noise from that area between the rear of the case and the rear of the drum.

All help much appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
have you checked to see if the drive belt is still there?

breezer said:
have you checked to see if the drive belt is still there?

Breezer!!...I have checked down the back, cant seem to see much...I would take it this belt (wherever it is!!...excuse my mechanical failings!) would be lying in coiled heap, if it has become unnatached somewhere??

I have also downloaded the wiring diagrams etc for this machine!!...Yet as it's just a glorified Airfix diagram for washing machines, it's useless to moi!

Help very much appreciated...!!

P.s, I've checked other posts, should I be looking to see if the exit pipe is blocked?
Although I cant see that stopping the drum?
As I said, it moves very freely by hand when off, when on, just a purr and a whirr Im afriad!

P.s, dont want to get someone out to charge me £50 to say, "yep, that's stuffed me ol son!"

Belt has likely come off or snapped. There should be resistance when you turn it by hand.
Take the back panel off and have a look at it.

Sponsored Links
Sleepyhead said:
Belt has likely come off or snapped. There should be resistance when you turn it by hand.
Take the back panel off and have a look at it.

Alright sleepy, I will now attempt to my first piece of appliance D.I.Y!!

So, when/if I find the belt is/has snapped, is it then a case of calling a supplier to find the part?....

Basically, is it easy to fix without special tools?
Or should I call an engineer, tell him it's the belt, and ask for them to repair??

I'll give you time to reply, you'll find me stuck somewhere between the cooker and the sink!!...Be back soon and update you guys!!!!!

Cheers!!

If it's a snapped belt it's easy to replace, goes around the motor drive shaft and around the drum pulley.

Sleepyhead said:
If it's a snapped belt it's easy to replace, goes around the motor drive shaft and around the drum pulley.

Dammit sleepy, my D.I.Y'ing has come to an abrupt halt!!
The rear panel needs a 2mm aln key, I have only a 2.5 or 1.5mm!!

Aaargh!

Are there any other 'symptoms' I can check, to ensure it is the belt?
(Without opening the back?...)

Lads!!!...Found the offending belt, lying curled under machine!!
It's still in one peice!...So, if armed with aln keys tomorrow, open the back, it should be an easy enough job???

Any advice on how to 'pop' it back on..hints tips etc well appreciated!!!

Thanks to both you guys for getting me this far!

emmm. It's not allen keys, it's torx bolts. 7 or 8mm socket will also take them out.
As for finding the belt, you'll have to check that it hasn't stretched or that the bearings aren't on their way out.

Sleepyhead said:
emmm. It's not allen keys, it's torx bolts. 7 or 8mm socket will also take them out.
As for finding the belt, you'll have to check that it hasn't stretched or that the bearings aren't on their way out.

Oh!.....This seems a little trickier than thought!
What the ell are torx bolts?....Do I need some mad tool then?
And stretching aside, what bearings are we on about?
Like I said, I've been looking at the whirpool manual, that's about as clued up as I may well get!!!

How can I tell, if there is wearing of the bearing, and the torx tool?

Thought I was doing well, just by finding a belt :rolleyes: !!!!

Sorry, just re-read, you reckon a socket set??..Same as a car socket set??

Yep. A socket will do it.
If the belt is stretched it will just come off again.
If the bearings have gone the pulley will wobble and throw the belt off.

Sleepyhead said:
Yep. A socket will do it.
If the belt is stretched it will just come off again.
If the bearings have gone the pulley will wobble and throw the belt off.

Cheers sleepy, last question...Where are these bearings, and how could I, an Idiot, check or find these bearings?
And what would make me know the pulley is wobbling?
Is it just a case of shaking to see of has movement????

Sorry for all these questions mate, but Im learning!!!

Easiest way to check is to open the door and try lifting the inner drum, if there is movement other than the suspension then the bearings are worn.
Should also be accompanied by a grating/rumbling feeling.
Hold the pulley wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock area and see if there is in/out movement. If there is then bearings are probably worn.

Sleepyhead said:
Easiest way to check is to open the door and try lifting the inner drum, if there is movement other than the suspension then the bearings are worn.
Should also be accompanied by a grating/rumbling feeling.
Hold the pulley wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock area and see if there is in/out movement. If there is then bearings are probably worn.

Thanks again sleepy, checked drum, reckon it seems fine.....I will buy a tool set tomorrow to try and get into the back, are the torx bolts the same as Hex bolts?....I've seen Argos has Hex tools in a small kit, would that be the same as torx, or should I try and get a simple socket set???
P,s huge blood blister now, as I got too greedy and tried to remove bolts with a set of pliers!!!....Now you know what your up against here!!!
:LOL:

Thanks for all!...I'll update you tomorrow, if all fails ,how much would the job cost if needing to get service lad out?....

Im just wondering if its less than £30-40, might be as well, minus the price of a tool kit, burst fingers, and the gaurentee that all work will be qualified??....Although, Im up for the challenge!!!!!

Just nip down the "barras" and get a cheap screwdriver kit, the one with all the seperate bits. You'll find torx bits in them as well as some small sockets. Get the back off and put the belt back on. If it comes off again, get a new belt and try that. Probably cost you a tenner max and you'll have a crappy toolkit at the end of it. :p
To put the belt back on easily, loop it over the motor drive shaft, cable tie it to the pulley and turn the drum. The belt should pop itself on and snap the cable tie when fully on. (Save you nipping your fingers again) :LOL:
Whirlpool call out 2 years ago was £72.50 plus parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back