cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can an extractor cooker hood be fitted so that the extracted fumes are passed through an existing chimney i.e. the original kitchen chimney breast from the days of cooking on solid fuel stoves.

Sponsored Links
You might as well fit a standard kitchen wall fan, recessed up so you cant see it. Its possible, but I think it requires ductwork right up to the roof.

And you'd have to use a fan that is capable of pushing up the height of the chimney. Most fans are only good for 3 meteres or so.

TTC

I wouldn't recommend using a fan as a substitute for a cooker hood. there will be a build up of grease etc., on the motor and blades.
This has been the cause of at least two fires, in my experience.

Jaymack

Sponsored Links
However...

There is the point that if the chimney is open at the top, natural convection will tend to take hot or moist air up it from the cooker below, even if there is no fan.

You will need a vent or grill for fresh air to enter the kitchen to replace that which escapes upwards. And there will be grease deposits so some kind of fireproof duct would be needed all the way up.

I agree that an ordinary extractor hood venting through the wall could be less trouble.

Or you could try asking the cust serv depts of major makers of extractor hoods, they will probably have come across the question before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back