cooker hood nightmares!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just put in a new kitchen and am just about to have the cooker hood fitted.Whilst I am aware of the distance the hood needs to be above the hob,the person doing the fitting has said that there are new building regs that require there to be a gap of 15mm either side of the widest part of the hood (600mm)which kind of messes up the aesthetics of the kitchen as we have a 300 mm unit either side of where it will go, the inside edge of which lines up with the inside edge of the 400 mm units below. He has also said that we can no longer recirculate we have to vent outside. Is he telling porkies in order to obtain more wonga out of us or are these regs that actually exist. Thank you, any answers gratefully accepted.

Sponsored Links
I personally have not heard of this but that doesn't mean it isnt the case.

It may be a non electrical reg, or be a manufacturers stipulation.

Do you know the make and modle of the hood?

Our cooker hood recirculates due to absence of outside walls in the vicinity.

But it is preferable to vent outside.

I dont think any new regs prohibit recirculation.

mine recirculates at the moment but i am going to route it into the ceiling then out (before johnD gets me for putting water into the air im my house). i have read about a reg before and its to do with having a gass applience rather than the steam, if you are all electric i dont think there is a problem, but if you have gas then you need ventelation to outside. (-its more specific than that, but Im off to bed so cant dig it up right now)

Sponsored Links
there are regs Gas Regs , that are refered to in the absence of the maufacturers instruction .

Has a read yourself in the installation guide for yoour hood .

Arf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back