New Skimmed ceiling prob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had whole large room walls and ceilings skimmed. I noticed this morning in one place in the centre of the ceiling the plaster had bubbled the patch was about 3 x 50p's in size, pushed the bubble and it just cracked, this is the only place its happened.

Can I just pick off the bubbled skim and apply patching plaster or am I better off getting the plasterer in to sort it ?

Sponsored Links
I would do just that, but it might be best to damp down the area of exposed plasterboard first and apply a fine filler as patching plaster can tend to be a bit to grainy.

Found another couple of simular patches last night as its dried, it appears that the skim in certains places has not bonded to the ceiling, so has blistered

Am I being resonable asking my plasterer to come back and sort it for free, or its just part and parcel of having a ceiling skimmed ?

Yes, i would ask Plasterer to come and investigate. However, word of caution here, as the problem may not be the Plasterers fault. You see people sometimes apply either the wrong or use it wrongly emulsions in the past on your cieling and the problem is only occuring since it has been plastered. So this problem may be a 'long term' problem of cause and effect of the past history of your surfaces.

Sponsored Links
over skimming is a popular, cheap, quick fix method of restoring a worn plastered ceiling or wall to a decent, paintable surface.

it's by no means infallible. people need to be made aware that any faults or problems that were in the substrate, aren't always going to disappear under a thin layer of skim.

that said, a well bonded over skim can look fab.

hi everyone !!!
hello rolo .....
if i was u i'd call back the plasterer and let him correct the problem for u, to me it sounds as if the ceiling had been painted with a silk emultion in the past, this is a nightmare when skimming over. he must have used pva mix for the bonding which is ok on matt paint, but bond-it or wickes bonding agent would have been best and then plastered, less likely to blow!! "call him back" (if he's anything like me he would prefer to keep a good name than a bad 1) ;)

True "carrotjuice" though it is down to price, whether do in one day with PVA or do in two days with bond-it or wickes bonding agent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back