Porcelain Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the middle of tiling my bathroom walls and floor with large porcelain tiles (40cmx40cm). I've had ups and downs and it's taking longer than I thought, but the layout at least was planned well. I did spend a couple of hours diamond drilling a tile to fit around the shower valves (which I was very proud of), only to drop it while checking the fit, shattering it in my lovely new bath (I nearly gave up on that day!).

Anyway, my question is really about whether the tiles I've fixed so far are going to fall off the wall or not! I started using a ready-mixed adhesive for bathrooms, (didn't know any better and nobody mentioned anything in the tile shop, and it didn't say so on the tub) I've since read somewhere that I should use a powdered cement based adhesive for large Porcelain tiles as the ready mixed stuff may not be able to dry out fully due to the size/type of tile. The tiles seem to be stuck on well at the moment so do I need to worry? Should I use something like BAL Rapedset Flexible for the rest of the tiling?

Advice would be much appreciated!
Cheers

Sponsored Links
You may be lucky, exactly what adhesive did you use.

For the rest you will be better with something like BAL goldstar for the walls as this will give you a longer working time.

If the floor is ply or overlaid with ply then the rapidset flexi will be fine.

Jason

The adhesive is 'Unibond tile on walls shower & bathroom' ...do you think I'll have a problem?

Yes, the floor is overlaid with ply.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for your replies, I'll defintely follow your recommendations from now on :D

Also, this might be a stupid qhestion, but i want to get it right! what consistancy am I aiming for with the adhesive and grout - e.g. think it says 5 times the weight of powder to water, but should it look like, cream cheese? I guess it should be thick enough not to flow?

Cheers

Hiya DoubleR :)

yeah a tiny /lil more wetter to be honest as a novice you want to be able to have it thick but workable , once you do a few mixs in a bucket you will get it bang on ,
see here for a mixer for your drill

http://www.tools4tilers.co.uk/product.php?xProd=35&xSec=4

an the Diy Sheds sell them as well ;)

Im just glad we could help you do a *BOSS* job to be proud of ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back