want to replace a Drayton RTS1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just had a central heating fitted. It's a Baxi COmbi 80e with a drayton RTS1 room stat on it. There is currently no timer/programmer on it. What's the easiest way to fit a timer/programable stat?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I can sell you a timer if you need one. Got millions, never use 'em. Always fit RF programmable room stats.

Sponsored Links
mattyantz said:
what's involved with a timer?

So many smart rsses on here

Wiring I think is the main diff.

I am just in the process of changing RF1 (no timer) to (RF2 with timer)

Diyisfun said:
mattyantz said:
what's involved with a timer?

So many smart rsses on here

Wiring I think is the main diff.

I am just in the process of changing RF1 (no timer) to (RF2 with timer)

so the wiring is the same for the rts1 ans rts2 or rts3?

EliteHeat said:
Drilling a hole in the boiler fascia unless there is a knock-out.

for someone trying to 'sell' something your customer service leaves a lot to be desired!

The Baxi 80/105, Potterton Performa and Baxi / Pottertton Main combis all share a common electro-mechanical 24 hour timer to the best of my knowledge. They are supplied with the Main but to date I have never fitted one, because:-

1) You have to drill a 2" hole on the facia to install it
2) You still need a wired thermostat
3) They are completely and utterly useless compared to programmable room thermostats
4) It is easier to fit an RF version of (3)

thanks alot, so to change my room thermostat which is a drayton rts1 (already fitted) is the wiring the same for and rts2 or 3?

mattyantz said:
thanks alot, so to change my room thermostat which is a drayton rts1 (already fitted) is the wiring the same for and rts2 or 3?

The RTS1 is a standard 230V room thermostat - not really suitable for a combi
The RTS2 is the same but with an LED light
The RTS3 is a frost stat

The only one suitable for a combi is an RTS4

Hope this helps

But, to answer your original question the wiring is the same for an RTS1, 2 & 3 - assuming that you have the right wiring to begin with and further assuming that you are passing a switched live to the combi - which in the case of the Baxi will be OK

ok, looking further into this, i think i need a digistat that wil have a built in timer. IS the wiring still the same?

A battery operated digistat requires only two connections to the boiler. These are volt free and replace the bridge that was with the boiler as it was originally supplied.

There are only two ways in which your RTS1 was wired. Either it carried a live feed and a neutral and fed back the switched live to the boiler, or, it acted as a volt free switch - but wouldn't be able to do this very well as it wasnt designed for the job. The easy way to tell is to swing down the control panel and check the wiring to the boiler. It should be fairly obvious.

So, it's not possible to say if any wiring changes are required because it is not clear how your system works. It is true to say that you will not need to replace any of the wiring, since you only need a two-wire connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back