Poor Heat from Rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 21 Year CH system. It has a potterton Netaheat Boiler MK2 10-16. Although the boiler runs I find r=that the rad although Pipeing hot do not sufficiently warm the house even though I have insualted the house well. It appears comparing the Rad outputs by way of feel to modern rads they seem not to convect warm aiir as much as the newer rads around these days. Does anyone have an idea if changing Rads and keeping the Boiler will improve the situation? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Modern convector radiators will emit alot more heat than ones manufactured 20yrs ago.
They may be very hot to touch but as you say they do not radiate heat v well.
Pete

Even modern rads will silt up and become inefficient after about 10 years or so. Regular flushing and use of inhibitor will help to extend the life of a system. Best bet is to simply replace your older rads with new ones. Try to get the same sizes to minimise pipework alteration. Powerflushing a system can also help but as you've got old rads this would most likely be pointless.

Sponsored Links
Fluffster said:
Modern convector radiators will emit alot more heat than ones manufactured 20yrs ago.
They may be very hot to touch but as you say they do not radiate heat v well.
Pete

Thanks very much for the advice it was much appreciated

bored said:
Even modern rads will silt up and become inefficient after about 10 years or so. Regular flushing and use of inhibitor will help to extend the life of a system. Best bet is to simply replace your older rads with new ones. Try to get the same sizes to minimise pipework alteration. Powerflushing a system can also help but as you've got old rads this would most likely be pointless.

Thank you very much for the advice it was really appreciated

urbanspaceman said:
be honest my friend-new boiler and rads reqd......

Thanks for the advice but someone told me " If it is'nt broken don't fix it"

Caesar said:
I have a 21 Year CH system. It has a potterton Netaheat Boiler MK2 10-16. Although the boiler runs I find r=that the rad although Pipeing hot do not sufficiently warm the house even though I have insualted the house well. It appears comparing the Rad outputs by way of feel to modern rads they seem not to convect warm aiir as much as the newer rads around these days. Does anyone have an idea if changing Rads and keeping the Boiler will improve the situation? Many thanks

Many Thanks for all the replies. I have another question. The Ch pipes I beleive are Microbore which at ground floor run into the walls and at the 1st floor into the floor boards. Can you purchase Radiators for Microbore systems and if so are they the same as for normal CH systems or do they need modification? I have heard that Microbore Rads have tubes which run into them from a one way valve, the other end being blocked. Also how easy are they to change? Many thank.

Hi Can anyone tell me if Twin Wntry valves will fit modern Radiators which I want to purchase but still uses existing Twin Entry Valvles already in place on my Microbore CH system?? Many Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back