Sub base to tile on ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - I have a chipboard floor in my bathroom and need to lay ceramic or travertine tiles. The chip board floor has not been laid very well and has a few minor gaps in.To remedy this I was planning on laying DITRA matting and then tiling over the top of that. I've never done this before so was looking for some tips ?

What do you use to stick the matting down with and will this work with a chipboard floor ?

Do you then just use a normal floor tile adhesive over the top of the matting ?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Fastmonkey

I guess you got no answers as there are loads of threads on this ,
use search
get chipboard up an replace with 18mm wbp....:)

Sponsored Links
our jase
Ive been wary on this detra gear ,
an didnt recommend it here for a diyer as it is still OUT in the Tiler camps about it ,
krauts love all this new stuff ,
but a top tiler forum I go to...
I hear horror stories regarding UFH probs /stability issues

I would always recommend , the ply substrate til this gear has been fully Years tested ,
in the schluter small print they talk of it failing , but of course to bad fitting , hmmm :(
you know tiles can be highly costly an to put you name /good reputation to a new substrate method which has been fully tested like ply /cement backer board ..
(blokes have rung their complaint desks about probs an are given written stock answers an if different to question , they just refer to fitting instructions , hmmm , shocking :( )
Im sorry Im not sold on it ...wether you use it day in an out , I dont know but I have read about probs ....an if you use PLY / cement backer board , NONE
best regards
moz :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back