Backup for a combi ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daft question but if you had the necessary pipework, valves etc...is it possible to install a 'hot' standby combi boiler so that if the main one failed you could just turn a few valves, fill it up and be back online ?

Expensive I know but is it possible ?

Sponsored Links
yes your right it is a daft question. whats your worry about, if your original combi went wrong just get it fixed

I'm not contemplating it that seriously......getting it fixed is one thing, getting it fixed by someone same day and in one visit is a whole other stretch of road.

Sponsored Links
If you'd got a system boiler instead of a combi you'd just have to turn on the immersion heater and the fan heater.

If you'd got a system boiler instead of a combi you'd just have to turn on the immersion heater and the fan heater.

And miss out on all that legendary combi reliability....never :LOL:

wanleg said:
I'm not contemplating it that seriously......getting it fixed is one thing, getting it fixed by someone same day and in one visit is a whole other stretch of road.

Ring kevplumb.. he be a monkey hanger too

I happen to think that two cheap 24 KW combis in tandem is better than one 40kw combi. Not always practical due to two flues and two boilers competing for space, but highly practical and cheaper but not lesser.

Electric shower for hot water and thermal undies for CH is the cheapest backup ;)

Paul Barker said:
I happen to think that two cheap 24 KW combis in tandem is better than one 40kw combi. Not always practical due to two flues and two boilers competing for space, but highly practical and cheaper but not lesser.

Paul,
Have you tried this approach anywhere? I'm considering doing just that.

seen two viessman combis running a rugby club and also supplying a 500 litre unvented cyl.

It's quite common. Most manufacturers will support it but a few say they can't approve it. Nothing hard really, though you get a lot of pipes... I've not had trouble of any sort with ones I've put in or worked on, apart from some silly wiring.

Having a second combi piped up seems a waste of time.

If you are paranoid about continuity of service then by all means have a second boiler of the same model and the whole unit can be changed.

Tony

Its not that, Tony. I need to replace my existing system as explained in the following post:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=496490#496490

Someone on Screwfix forum suggested perhaps 2 combis in tandem as solving my problem as apposed to megaflos/heat stores etc.

I just happened to stumble across this old thread and looking for some feedback on practicality.

MOD 2

start a new thread

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back