1Way Dimmer to a 1 way switch, weird black plastic box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, I am replacing a one way dimmer switch with a one way switch. (The dimmer doesn't work too well with energy saving light bulbs.) The wiring is not a problem for me as I have done it before. But I have never encountered a black plastic casing on the inside of the switch before. It covers all the wiring and screws on the inside. I tried to remove it but it seems stuck, and not knowing what it is am afraid to pull too hard. Anyone know what it is? I really do not want to call an electrician and spend $80 on a two minute job :( Plus it is really hard to do all this stuff in the dark LOL

Sponsored Links
on american dimmers there are normialy no screw connectors insted there are normaly two little wires comming out of the dimmer these wires are then connected using wire connectors to the house wiring

Is there any screw on connectors in the back of the box?

if there is disconect the cables from those connectors and reconnect your switch to the wires

low energy bulbs should not be dimmed with a dimmer

Nope the back of the switch is completely encased by this black plastic box. I think it might be a casing, like a dirt cover, but I am not sure :(

Sponsored Links
probably got some one in by now, nearly 2 months since it was posted

oops, this forum isnt as hot as the UK one, where I take it for granted that posts are recent

the little line of text above where you post is a give away, its called the date :LOL:

but to be honest I would not bother with electrics outside the UK as they

1) often post and go

2) not allowed to do anything anyway

3) do not understand what you mean

4) Differnt regs

5) diifernt kit

take this one its not no one wants to help its no one can help

and this forum is here to stop confusion from uk and non uk electrics

Back