To Powerflush or not to Powerflush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, our downstairs radiators act as U pipes (pipes come down from upstairs, then back up on other side of radiator) and are constantly filling up with black sludge - we've been advised to powerflush, but also warned about the risk of pin point leaks...don't really want to spend £400 odd on a powerflush, but worried that if we try adding the chemicals ourselves we're going to get the leaks. Any advice?
Also, would it only be the radiators that would leak, or would the pipework (copper?) leak too? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
from my understanding (I m not a plumber or heating engineer, but i read the forums) it will be the rads that will leek, since they rust from the inside out.

copper does not rust so no problem there unless a bad joint gets blown apart (unlikely)

unfortunately only a powerflush can clean it properly .

A chemical flush (diy) will not remove all of the problems .

If you do get a pin point leak atleast you will have an expert at hand to sort it out if you have a power flush.

Arf

You can hire a powerflush pump with all necessary hoses, connections and chemicals from Travis Perkins for £60 a week.
It comes with all instructions and is a very simple process to do.
As for pin leaks, if you have so much sludge your rads will rot beneath it in any case (it settles and sets hard which is why you need to powerflush) if they are rotting then regardless of what you do you have a problem waiting for you.
New rads are readily available from many sources and you can usually pop one off and replace it quite quickly.
Otherwise shell out your £400 (I was quoted £580 from British Gas - taking the mick eh) you'll still have to sort leaking rads if they do leak.

Sponsored Links
Estman said:
You can hire a powerflush pump with all necessary hoses, connections and chemicals from Travis Perkins for £60 a week.
It comes with all instructions and is a very simple process to do.
That's good to know. Thanks for the info. :)

Estman said:
you can usually pop one off and replace it quite quickly.

yeah right !

with all the appropiate tools and experience . maybe . otherwise this lass is gonna be running around the house like the incredible HULK , GRRRRR and looking for your address

Doh!

I should've read the sender's name - too true arfur. Maybe a man about the house to mug??

I wouldn't be sexist though there are women plumbers I've seen......

when done correctly a powerflush will sovle many central heating problems but i would also advise fitting a magnaclean filter as well to keep the sludge down.

i know this is an old post but i have responed so if any body looks at the thread it may help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back