TWO RADIATORS NOT WORKING WHEN OIL CENTRAL HEATING ON!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need advice/suggestions re two upstairs radiators not heating up when oil central heating is on. All radiators in the house are turned on. The radiators in question are located in an upstairs bathroom and bedroom...these two rooms are adjacent to each other, but the bathroom is not an en suite. All other radiators in the house are working fine. I have attempted to bleed each radiator but they remain stone cold. I did this while the heating was on. I am a senior citizen and unfortunately not too knowledgeable with plumbing. Just hoping that perhaps there may be a somewhat simple solution, before I might be required to call a plumber which of course is an expense not budgeted for this month! Will appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The first thing to try is to turn off one rad valve on each radiator that's getting hot. If there is a soft blockage then this often results in flow to the radiators that aren't getting hot.

It could alternatively be a balancing problem, but unlikely if it's happened spontaneously.

If you suspect a blockage then the system is corroding internally, and you ought to plan for it to be drained and cleaned out, probably in the spring when the weather warms up again.

Hello Softus.
Thank you for responding to my posting. Tomorrow I will try your first suggestion re turning off each valve. We have never had the problem before it only occurred when we turned on the heating system for the season last week, the two rads in question never heated up, they remained stone cold while the other rads heated up fine. The pipe leading into the rad valve is hot but the rad remains cold. Thank you very much.

Hm. Probably sludge. Another thought though - do you have TRVs (Thermostatic Radiator Valves) or manual valves?

Sponsored Links
Hello again, yes, we do have thermostatic valves, which had been turned to the off position for the summer. After turning them all back on last week and turning the system on, all rads heated up except the two mentioned upstairs. Although I am not knowledgeable on these things, I recall reading something about a pin inside the valve that can get stuck! Is this so? I have not attempted to take off the top yet. Any other comments or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you.

could well be the valves stuck .......take the top off and push the pin a few times .........do NOT pull it up/out ;)

Remove the TRV head (how you do this depends on make/model), get a light hammer, tap the pin lightly until it feels springy. Put the head back.

On no account should you pull the pin up.

:D TO SOFTUS AND NIGE F...thanks for your responses and advice. Took top off both rads, tapped pin on each lightly a few times, felt it move and spring up....one took a few more taps than the other. Both rads now heating up! Thank you for your advice and suggestions and taking the time to post it on the site. I learnt a few things myself too, much appreciated. Thanks. :D Sagleo

Mmmm, I tried tapping them down, but no luck, so I pulled them up a bit, with a bit of sideways pressure, that worked. Whats the heinous crime of pulling them up? :confused:

Not a crime per se, but you risk removing the pin and not budging the valve from its seat.

What most people do when pulling is grip with pliers, nicking the pin in the process and causing the pin to stick later. You might have got away with it this time, but I'd mark down that valve for replacement in the spring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back