Tiling shower....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to start tiling our bathroom where we have a corner shower going in over the top of an oiled wood floor. Can anyone give me advise on how to finish where the tiles meet the floor. Its an old house which has quite a bit of movement. Do I leave a gap under the bottom tile and fill and seal with silicon or do I fill with grout ? All help and advice gratefully accepted. Thanks......Kev......

Sponsored Links
Remove all traces of grease and dust, then apply sanitary silicone sealant with mildew resistant properties. Buy the best quality and most expensive product you can find, e.g. Dow Corning 785.

Thanks Softus, it's on tomorrows shopping list......Kev...

I forgot to mention the gap - I generally leave a 2mm gap, under the bottom tile, so that there's a good key for the sealant and so that you don't have to create a 'shelf' of the stuff - this all makes for a very neat finish.

Sponsored Links
to be picky ...lol

I generally leave an expansion seal joint of 3mm...;)

Softus
tbh ... 2mm is way to small, even 3mm ,without seeing the job ...

as he says
"Its an old house which has quite a bit of movement"
maybe a trim finish hiding the gap ;)

Moz said:
tbh ... 2mm is way to small, even 3mm ,without seeing the job ...
Point taken Moz. If everything is rigid I would always go for 2mm.

maybe a trim finish hiding the gap ;)
You have GOT to be kidding me! :eek:

maybe a trim finish hiding the gap

I have used this in many places for wall to floor finish ,where movement is obvious ......5 mm gaps ......... not tilers trim lol ..lol..lol..lol..lol ,silicon it in looks the business /boss job .......lol
no hassle scrapping out old silicon to replace , dogs bits , ;)

Thanks for the help guys. It's good to see a bit of healthy debating is still going on :) I got through tiling my kitchen floor and I'm really happy with the finished job (so's the wife) So, next the bathroom,....... or maybe the laundry,....... or I could tile the hallway...........Kev...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back