Upstairs Radiators Wont Bleed Properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The upstairs rads wont bleed properly a small bit of air comes out and then stops. I have checked the header tank and it has enough water in and I cant see any blockages . Please help.

Sponsored Links
What type of boiler do you have?

Do you have any cisterns in the loft?

Do you have an airing cupboard containing a copper cylinder?

Sponsored Links
I have a Glowworm Ulitimate 40 boiler there is 2 cisterns in the loft (how much water should be in them ? They are quite full) and there is a hot water tank in the airing cupboard the pump is also in there .

Thanks

Hunty said:
any idea where I would find that
In the airing cupboard. The cold fill is usually a 15mm pipe coming down from the loft and joins onto a 22mm pipe at a point on the pipe from the boiler, before the pump connection.

Use a magnet to test for ferrous metal near that T junction - if you find magnetic material inside the pipework then rotra is probably correct.

Probably a stupid question but how will i test with a magnet inside the pipe ?

I have an easy way of doing it that should work seeing as you can get some air out. It's a bit scary sometimes so have an assistant when you do it.

Connect a hosepipe to the vent and blast the blockage back through to the header tank. Let the header tank overflow for a while.
The scary bit is if the tank level gets too high and overflows so you need one person checking this out and another operating the tap.
Check your overflow pipe is intact and in good condition before you start

Hunty said:
Probably a stupid question but how will i test with a magnet inside the pipe ?
Hold the magnet on the outside. Copper is not ferrous.

OK did the magnet thing nothing unusual happened. What next drain the system ?

Many Thanks

I would:

1. Isolate (turn off) the cold feed to the F&E.
2. Sponge (or wetvac) out all the F&E contents to avoid introducing yet more muck into the system.
3. Using a drain off point, drain out an amount of water equal to the amount of water that you removed from the F&E.
4. Add Superfloc (or x100) to the F&E and turn the cold feed back on.
5. Run the system for

Note - if the F&E doesn't empty, when refilling, then:

1. Put a bung in the F&E outlet.
2. Drain enough water out to get the level below the cold feed tee in the airing cupboard, then start dismantling and/or cutting out the blocked pipework.
3. Once the pipework is unblocked and reinstated, remove the bung and leave the cleanser in the system for a couple of days of usage.
4. Drain again and refill with an inhibitor.
5. In the springtime, drain again, remove each radiator and either renew or flush it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back