swap 1 way for two way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting wall lights can I connect these to the ceiling light switch replacing the one way switch with a 2 way switch. There is only red, black, and earth in the switch box. I have channeled the wall ready to accept cable from the switch.

Sponsored Links
ianbellamy said:
I am fitting wall lights can I connect these to the ceiling light switch replacing the one way switch with a 2 way switch. There is only red, black, and earth in the switch box. I have channeled the wall ready to accept cable from the switch.

Ian, I think you are confusing One way and Two way switches with One Gang and two gang switches.

One Gang One way will be a single switch that can only switch one light or multiple lights.

Two Gang One Way will be a double switch that can switch two seperate lights or multiple lights

One Gang Two way is a single switch that is capable, with an identical switch and correct wiring, of switches a Light(s) from two seperate locations.

Two Gang Two can switch two seperate lights from two seperate locations using an identical switch or two seperate One Gang One way switches in seperate locations.

I think what you are talking about is using a TWO GANG switch in place of a ONE GANG, so that there will be TWO switches that operate the lights independantly...ie: One switch does the cieling light, one switch does the wall lights.

If this is correct then the answer is yes, but I must question your ability to safely and effectively do this as you are confused about the simple issue of switch nomenclature.

How do you intend to power these wall lights? Will you take the power from the Ring main via a fused spur, or from the lighting circuit?

If you intend to take power from the ring main via a fused spur, then you MUST NOT wire the wall lights back to the same switch as the cieling light, as these are on seperate circuits and you would be introducing a significant risk of shock to anyone working on the lighting circuit in future.

FWL_Engineer, you have to bear in mind this is a diy forum, you read the posters post and although what you have said is true, that wasnt what the poster is asking, the poster wants to know can they simply change the switch, and connect the new lights to it, to which we both no the answer is NO.

Although you then go on to say how are they going to power the lights, most "who ask" assume you can just connect new light to switch and all will work. So please bear this in mind when replying.

ianbellamy No, you can not do as you suggest, you will have to run a cable from your existing lights (ceiling rose) to new light then to switch

see

lamps.gif

this is a general drawing your wall lights will be the last light in drawing

Breezer, before answering the question definitively, you must understand what he is actually asking, and there is very good reason to believe that Ian has confused One/two way switches with One/two gang switches.

You have made the assumption that he is asking if he can power the lights from the switch, but that is NOT what he asked, although I appreciate that there may be an implication of that there, that is why my reply was worded as it was.

Sponsored Links
I too would like to have an existing one gang switch replaced with a two gang to switch an existing ceiling rose and picture light we are adding.

I passed my 236 many years ago, but I took it as a pen pushing office worker and never experienced the practical 'on-site' side of life, so I'm not totally green at this stuff.

Before I go feeding new switch wires down the stud wall to the switch, is there any way I can make this work by using the existing wires alone?

If not, what is the best method to use for getting new wires down a stud wall (without ripping off the plaster board!)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Charlie_Chalk said:
Before I go feeding new switch wires down the stud wall to the switch, is there any way I can make this work by using the existing wires alone?

NO.

you can fish the cable, hole at top and bottom, push small cable (earth wire is good) and fish for it, using another wire, just hope you dont hit a stud

Breezer was right I wanted to power the lights with a two way switch and not a two gang switch. The wiring diagram Breezer posted was what I was looking for and will try tomorrow

ianbellamy said:
Breezer was right I wanted to power the lights with a two way switch and not a two gang switch. The wiring diagram Breezer posted was what I was looking for and will try tomorrow

Fair comment, so I must go with Breezers definitive NO then :D

ianbellamy said:

Just one problem then - what Breezer posted was a diagram of a 2-gang switch, not a 2-way switch....

i have lost my rolf hat, so its an old drawing, but .............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back