wall cable problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to run a spur off a hall-way socket on the the top of the stairs, up the inside of the plasterboard wall & into the loft.
I have made a hole in the loft between the plasterboard & the wall & tried to run the cable down the inside of the wall to the socket. It seems it keep catching on something every time( half way down). The gap between the plasterboard & wall seems to be no bigger than the cable itself when pushing. I have used string to try & pull it through from the socket end (so i know there isn't any wall studs in the way but it still catching.( the house is only 12yrs old)
IS WHERE ANY TRICK'S OR TOOLS TO HELP

++++++++++++++++
You posted this same question 4 times.
Please read the forum rules.
Don't do it again.
I have deleted your three duplicates.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
Perseverance is a good one...

Depending on which way your pulling the cable (up or down) it might be catching on something..it is difficult to say anything when you cannot see the situation your in..sorry..not really helpful..

If you shine a very bright tourch down the plasterboard from the loft can you see that way where its getting stuck.

In the past ive used some thin but strong plastic and slide that down first i tend to use a old curton slider the plastic type as they are often thin, long and strong.

Just an idea.

Apart from the difficulty in access, how do you propose to support the vertical cable, at the required intervals to the regulations?

Jaymack

Sponsored Links
If your plasterboard is 'dabbed' onto the blockwork then you are probably hitting a chunk of bonding plaster that was used to stick the plasterboard onto the wall.
If your plasterboard is attached to a wooden frame (stud) then you will be hitting a horizontal bit of wood.

Try the thin plastic prodder solution (above), otherwise you'll need to break a hole in the plasterboard above the obstruction and chase down until you get the the void below it.

NOTE!!! The cable MUST run vertically down the wall to the socket. No diagonals and no zig zags!

TTC

Jaymack said:
Apart from the difficulty in access, how do you propose to support the vertical cable, at the required intervals to the regulations?

Jaymack

:?:

The same way you support cables in other inaccessible voids - you don't.

IIRC, if the drop is less than five metres in a void thats not normally accessble, then clipping at the top, combined with whatever additional rounded supports may be needed to ensure that the max bend radii is not exceed is perfectly acceptable.

Would have to double check, but I'm sure thats the case

Adam_151 said:
...............with whatever additional rounded supports may be needed to ensure that the max bend radii is not exceed is perfectly acceptable.

In a slim space behind some plasterboard? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

TTC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back