Electrical

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am embarking on a rewiring project.

Is there any benefit installing deep socket mounting boxes? I was going to use 25mm deep boxes but have noticed that 35mm and 47mm are available.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wills

Sponsored Links
generally there is no reason to use 47mm boxes for sockets, they are mainly used for things like cooker control units where there are much bigger cables and terminals involved.

35mm boxes give a bit more wiring room than 25mm ones and make it possible to fit flat plate accessories if you wish later (very often theese simply will not fit on 25mm boxes)

Wills, are you aware of Part P and the legal requirements it entails?

Secondly, 25mm deep boxes are more than adequate unless you fit, as Plug said, the really flat plate faceplate..but these are generally cack.

Also you should determine how deep you can safely chase into your walls..25mm may be a simple task, but that extra 10mm may be difficult or you may end upin the cavity if the wall materials are weak..it is surprisingly easy to break through..

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

Yes, Big Spark. I am aware of the Part P requirements.

Cheers,

Will

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back