sealant tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone.

First of all I would like to thank everyone on here for all the help I have received in the last two years. Been a long time reader and now finally I need to post.

In the past I have some real disasters with silicone, but recently have been using some masking tape and not making a bad job of it, still not a "proper finish" though.

What I would like to know is are any of these sealant tools any good? I have bought the pas-plugs one in the past and found that all it does is just scrape the silicone off. Can anyone recommend any? Also are there any trade tips on sealing?

Many Thanks

Salv

Sponsored Links
Masking tape & wet finger. I think the main thing is not to use to much.

I tell you why I ask. a friend of mine is a tiler and he has got as a tool that will leave him an absoloutly perfect finish even when he has gone all over the place with the gun. He keeps winding me up saying he wont tell me what its called cos its for trade only. Someone on here must use something.

clubsalv said:
He keeps winding me up saying he wont tell me what its called cos its for trade only. Someone on here must use something.

Spit......... ;)

When you run the bead .. leave it for about a minute ((((no longer)))) wet your finger soapy water... and gently hardly touching the silicone form a film of wet (spit) ;) to form a barrier that will let you smooth over the silicone. once the film of water is on the bead you can genly smooth your finger along the bead (almost no pressure) quite quickly... tho you only have a short time before curing starts about 4/5 min.

Sponsored Links
Well on some of the sites I work on, when the Mastic Man as we call him comes he uses a piece of stick shaved down on one end, and I think it is soapy water that he sprays on, then pushes the stick along the mastic he has just done. There is an art to it and he makes it look so simple, the end result is always perfect as well. I must say that with decorators caulk I can hold my own, but with silicone there is room for improvement.

Yeah I have heard that a chap round here does nothing but mastic joints for kitchen fitters, tilers etc. Nice job eh !!

I have seen a similar 'mastic man' on our sites. He always carries around with him a small paint kettle in which he has several different sticks of various thickness which have been soaking in soapy water to 'repel' the silicone when he does a bead joint, must say tho I consider myself pretty handy with the old spit on the finger situation but couldn't get the hang of the sticks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back