cooktop wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'m installing an electric cooktop that has a three wire conduit (red, green and black). My junction box has a bare copper ground wire,in addition to three other wires; red, black and white. What do I do with the ground wire and white wire in the junction box and the green wire in the conduit? I\\\'m in the USA

Sponsored Links
cairizarr said:
I\\\'m installing an electric cooktop that has a three wire conduit (red, green and black). My junction box has a bare copper ground wire,in addition to three other wires; red, black and white. What do I do with the ground wire and white wire in the junction box and the green wire in the conduit? I\\\'m in the USA

Red = Hot
Black = Neutral
Green = Ground

Red connects to Hot
Black connects to Neutral
Green will connect to the Bare ground wire..it would be a good idea to sleeve this whilst doing this work.

EDIT: Forgot to mention..The white Wire should be made safe as this is the 2nd Hot wire if your appliance requires 220V Dual Phase.

Breezer, he is in the US, so the Cooker Top will be 110Vac. In some circumstances it will be 220Vac, but this is two phase and it would have One RED and One white (Hot wires), it may or may not have a black wire in this situation depending on the controls.

The supply to the point he needs to connect too has One Red Hot Wire (live) and one White Wire (hot), along with a Black (Neutral) and a bare core which id the ground (Earth)

I worked over there for 5 years many moons ago so I am fully aware of their system of power distribution and cable ID precedures. I actually still have tickets to work in Washington State, Oregan, California, Texas, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Louisiana, Florida and also in Canada..where I lived throughout this period.

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
I worked over there for 5 years many moons ago so I am fully aware of their system of power distribution and cable ID precedures. I actually still have tickets to work in Washington State, Oregan, California, Texas, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Louisiana, Florida and also in Canada..where I lived throughout this period.

Verrry Interesting.

So when someone asked you to fit a GFCI outlet in their bathroom, did you do it, or did you say "Nay, you heathen - BS7671 does not allow that in England and therefore you shall not have it here"?

ban-all-sheds said:
FWL_Engineer said:

Verrry Interesting.

So when someone asked you to fit a GFCI outlet in their bathroom, did you do it, or did you say "Nay, you heathen - BS7671 does not allow that in England and therefore you shall not have it here"?

I did not work on Domestic install over there, and shuddered whenever I saw a socket in a bathroom.

All I worked on was Mariners, Docks, Oil Rigs, Ships and other Marine related electrical plant...plus a few Chemical stores..loveley working with stainless steel tray and trunking!!

WHOA, STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!. BACK THAT TRUCK UP !!!!!

here in the USA, black wires are HOT, not neutral. White is neutral. The cooktop is 240V (220V). Cooktops are almost ALWAYS 240V. black goes to black. red goes to red. green goes to the bare wire in the junction box. cap off the white wire (neutral) in the box. that is not needed for your cooktop. it would be used if it had a 120 volt part, but since your cooktop doesn't have a white wire, it's not needed.

Sponsored Links
Back