Cylinder thermostat wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just bought a replacement cylinder thermostat (Horstmann) to replace my old one which doesn't seem to be working. The wiring instructions are non-existant, could anybody talk me through it or point me in the right direction?

TIA

Phil

Sponsored Links
Horstmsann HCT 2 cylinder thermostat. It has connections for 3 wires from the junction box but which?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
We aren't psychic!
We don't know what you're connecting it to! If you told us the make/model of the old one, or how many wires there are, it might help.

OK, I wasn't sure what info would be needed. I'm replacing a Tower Components thermostat which has 3 cables coming from a junction box which has cables from the rest of the system coming in. I assumed it would be a matter of attaching the cables to the new thermostsat but I need to figure out which way. Is it more complicated than that?

Phil! You know how a two way switch functions. with 1 'live' wire going into the switch and two 'switched live' wires coming out but not both at the same time. So you have either 'com' to 'L1' or 'com to 'L2', but never 'L1' to 'L2'
Right ! well a cylinder stat is the same 'live' comes from programmer into stat. and 'switched live' goes out to boiler/pump, then when the demand is satisfied it breaks this connection and makes the other and this will feed the 3 port valve.
If you dont need the 3rd connection then you don't use it. Just like the two way switch you can use it in a one way mode.
Best thing to do is carry out a bench test before you fit it by using a continuity meter across each set of two terminals with the stat turned high so there a demand for heat.
Say terminals are A,B & C
AB .............BC............AC only one pair will give reading and the omitted terminal must be the one for the 3 port valve (if needed)
The pair giving the reading must be live in and switched live to boiler.
But which is which? Well turn stat down and repeat test, again only one pair will give a reading and it won't be the same pair.
This time the omitted terminal will be the switched live to the boiler
So if you know 2 you must know the third. example 1st test AC gives reading B is to 3 port 2nd test BC gives reading A is to boiler so C must be the 'live' problem solved!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back