When to fit a combi or condensing boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

When should you fit a combi boiler and when should you fit a condensing boiler as a replacement boiler. What criteria do they require

Ta

George

Sponsored Links
Have you got a question from a course you're on by any chance? It sure looks like it. Well if you search through this forum you will find everything you need, but I won't do your homework for you.

Hi oilman

No I am not doing a course

Tried search but just about every thread has combi, boiler or condensing in it.
I need a new boiler fitted and the plumber says that my system cannot have a condensing boiler fitted. It has a combi at present Sime 80E

Work away and cant ask him exactly why. Hassle from wife as well because never there when things happen

So any help would be appreciated just to understand why????

George

you will have to ask him directly why not.

he may be finding it difficult to find somewhere for the condensate to go.

perhaps there are flue issues.....pluming etc.

you dont need a condenser in scotland anyway

Sponsored Links
a combi is a boiler that heats water as reqd ,same as you have now, a condenser is a high efficancy boiler that you can buy ,it is available as a combi or standard boiler. and should be fitted on most new or boiler changes. your installer should be fitting a condensing combi ,my personal choice would be a vaillant eco max

What you need is a condensing combi. In England & Wales it is now virtually mandatory to fit a condensing boiler for any new or replacement installation. Condensing simply means that more heat is extracted from flue gases..meaning you use less gas. The flue gases are so much cooler that the water in them condenses and you need a small drain to take it away.

Its not mandatory to fit one in Scotland yet, so some gas engineers there might possibly continue to recommend less efficient boilers, quite properly and legally. Its the way to go however, though some disagree, so I'd insist on a condensing boiler. Its pretty well the same to install.

Condensing boiler technology is not that new..I've had one for 13 years in a house I own in the dales. I'd be very surprised if it were not possible to install one in place of your current combi. The ONLY difference is you need to run a 20mm plastic condensate drain pipe from the boiler to a nearby disposal point, either a drain pipe or sink waste, or a kitchen gulley. Easy peasy most of the time, but as I don't know your installation I can't be 100% on this of course.

You also get a plume of water vapour(steam) from the flue. If this is likely to annoy/inconvenience neighbours then there are kits to reduce its effect, but most people are Ok with it.

There was loads of grumbling from installers in England at first, but it was just that...grumbling, and they now install them every day without batting an eyelid...Some of them even work ;)

Alfredo

Thanks all

I thought that you should normally be able to change it out.

It is probably that the boiler is in the loft space in the attic and the opposite side from any drains.

Only place he could pipe the drain to is gutters and even that would be a task.

He has recommended the Baxi 105 HE

Ta

George

GeoH said:
Thanks all

I thought that you should normally be able to change it out.

It is probably that the boiler is in the loft space in the attic and the opposite side from any drains.

Only place he could pipe the drain to is gutters and even that would be a task.

He has recommended the Baxi 105 HE

Ta

George

dont majority of plumbers in england :eek:

Sorry dont quite get it.

Don't fit Baxi or dont get english plumber???

105he is a great boiler but since it's band b and has a primary condensing heat exchanger bolted on the flue gases have more resistance to encounter so less flexible fluing options are available to you.

Baxi are presently selling the band a boiler with 3 year warranite for a give away price via the Majic boiler scheme. I would strongly recommend you to ask your installer to look at the new models the combi is called Duotec and the system boiler a Megaflow (in keeping with the in house brand of unvented hot water cylinder). These are band a boilers at the band b price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back