only For gas engineers to answer!

I have an dinosaur of a glowworm back boiler

dont know what make cos I aint serviced yet, only been in eight months

and its cheaper to run than the WB HE cdi I installed in my last house

go figure

:)

Sponsored Links
I have a few boilers but the oldest is an Ideal CH502 about 1971-4 but fitted s/h about 1987.

We have another in a launderette but thats a CH501, again fitted s/h about 1988 to replace two 120,000 oil Potty Dips. Anyone remember them? The gas ones had a matchstick !!!

Oddly enough that boiler is as efficient as any non condensing boiler ! I do have to say they have been very reliable. The one in the launderette burns about £2500 worth of gas every year to directly heat the water!

Thats about 20 years of operation with no faults !!!

Tony

Moved in 9 years ago to an Ideal Classic RS40 on a Y Plan. Replaced the cylinder with a High recovery type and TRVs then never touched it again.

Finally got round to replacing it 2 years ago before the Regs came in with Vaillant Ecomax 828

3 Bedroom, 1 bathroom. Paying about £30/month at the mo but cook on gas and the wife likes it tropical :D

I have a Thorn Olympic b/f circa 1983
I moved in 20 years and 10 days ago and in that time it had had 2 gas valves ,3 thermocouples and I have cleaned it out 5 times, basically whenever its gone wrong.

It had a small leak when I moved in which had a bowl under it for about a year then it magically healed itself up.

System is gravity hot water and the pump is original. I did add a roomstat back in about 1988 and threw in a tub of inhibitor about the same time. Last years bills were about £110 a quarter for three occupants. This year theres only me so they will be less in spite of the price increases. Small 3 bed detached house built in 1979-1980. Just before the regs changed to walls having a U value of 0.8w/m² but I had cavity wall insulation done 4 years ago

When I did my sums based on a labour free installation it was uneconomical to replace it. I might reconsider if the gas prices double from what they are now. Hopefully it will last until the price of ground source heat pumps and solar etc become more affordable.

Sponsored Links
Potterton performa 28 been in 4 years no problems at all . Before that potterton flamingo rs 50 . 17 years old when changed, never serviced 1 thermocouple and bottle of x200 every couple of years to keep it purring along. Perfect condition when changed..Still got a couple of rads from original back boiler fitted in 1972. Best buy is a white knight gas tumble drier had 2 in 16 years so much faster and cheaper to run.. As for fires try not to take brochures home as she sees one and wants it changed again had about half dozen in twenty years and just about to change it again for a valor icon.

Also don't take BAxi bonus direct brochure home or you will end up with hair straighteners instead of a mountain bike. Trust me.

Bish Bosh said:
1) what type of boiler/system people have fitted in there own home( and did they inherit it or fit it themselves), + has it given you much trouble

I fitted a Keston C25 when we moved into this place four years ago. Did it mainly becuase I wanted one as a toy to play with, not having had much experience with steamers back then. It's gone wrong countless times. If I hadn't just become a CORGI bod myself, and had to pay someone to fix it instead, it would have gone in the skip long ago. It's been a bit more reliable since I serviced it ;)

Had a Vaillant 242E in my last house. Fitted it myself and it never let us down in 12 years. May have serviced it once in that period, but I can't remember.

Previous house had a Thorn Apollo, similar experience. No intervention whatsoever needed in about nine years.

In our first house I fitted a Potterton Diplomat O/F, aquired second-hand, already 15 years old, and this was around 1980. The keston is my first personal experience of a boiler going wrong. I think it's punishing me.

Cheers, Mike

The bloke who services my boiler says that it's a Ideal Concord WRS.

I've been in the house for 11 years, and in that time it's only given trouble once. After a storm sucked the pilot out, it failed to light - this was just a chafed ignition lead.

So, no faulty components in my experience of it, and it stays as clean as a very clean whistle.

how so?

it's in my sig

you're just toooooooooo sensitive
and FFS - learn to spell

Yeah - but was it free ?

My last boiler was a 242E

which gave 18 years of service (DIY install, of course)

An RGI will soldier on with any boiler (new/old, SEDBUK Z..etc) - because he can fix, maintain and optimise it, at will. So there is no point in getting an idea of what boiler to install based on an RGI's personal install.

Am i right?

Bit late to the thread but here goes:

Have got an inherited Potty Flamingo, no probs ever with it apart from astronomical gas bills during winter.

Have got a Vaillant 831 ecomax in the spare room, has been gathering dust for some months now. Might put in in some punters flat and get something more interesting for my place like a Boulter or viessmann...

Probably never install that either...:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back