boiler over heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Sime Super 90 and the heating is working ok, but when I use the hot water on and it reaches a temp.approx 80c.the pilot light goes out and it trips a switch and the boiler need to be restarted manually.
Have had the system flushed and new water pump last year.

Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Isn't 80C a bit hot? Every tap I have ever fitted, as well as my washing machine, recommends that hot water should not be hotter than 60C.

I have found that with my Potterton Profile boiler that the recommendation is that the boiler should be set to maximum on the dial.

But there is a temperature dial strapped to the hot water cylinder which should be set to about 60 degrees.

Does yours have such a dial attached?

I am not a professional, but a friendly amateur.

It is cutting out on the overheat stat, does it still do it when you turn the boiler stat down to say half way?

Sponsored Links
I have a Potterton and it also keeps cutting out on thermal overheat. I thought it was air in the boiler. I have just checked my temperatures and found that the boiler dial was set to high and so was the tank dial.

I have just turned the tank down to 60, but left the boiler set high. I will let you know what happens

regards,

Intersimi

MOD see this

have found that with my Potterton Profile boiler that the recommendation is that the boiler should be set to maximum on the dial
Where does it say that??
Seems a very strange idea indeed.

To respond to the original question: 80C is VERY hot for hot water. Chances are the boiler is 'running away' (due to a sensor problem?) and eventually cutting out via the limit thermostat.
Needs fixing.

Well, that did not fix my problem. It seems to stay on a little bit longer than before, but not much longer. I am going to turn the boiler down to 60 also. Again I will let you know what happens.

currently:
Tank = 60
Boiler = max

going to do:
Tank = 60
Boiler = 60

BTW, even though the tank was turned down to 60 and I had to keep clicking the override button to get the biler to turn on, the radiators were hot to touch and the water was hot. So It did not seem to effect anything temperature wise.

regards,

Intersimi

--------------------------------
Moderator, added your extra post above

See Forum rules 10a & Forum rules 2 ;)

Well, the changes seem to be working so far. I have not had to reset the thermal shut off switch since I made the change almost 3 hours ago, and believe me, that is a record!

Thanks for the suggestions etc.

regards,

Intersimi

Your boiler make is so bad that I personally refuse to work on them for the simple reason that I probably have to go back inside the warranty period for the next problem and then have to convince the client that it has nothing to do with the previous repair. One of my customers had their engineers out 19 times inside three years. Final solution: replace the boiler with a more reliable brand. My personal opinion anyway.

Are you refering to the Potterton being rubbish? It was in the house when we moved in. I have been finding spare parts for it all over the loft, so I assume it has had problems constantly. The guy we bought the house off of, said that it was a fairly new bolier.

What is the difference between the boiler temp and tank temp? Obvious question, I know, but why have two temperature settings?

regards,

Intersimi

for two different things, you also have a room stat as well, 3 different temp settings? and one on each of your radiators? 10 temp settings in your average house, obviously they all control different things ;)

TRV: Sets the temp of the room at which the connected rad will shut off.
Room stat: Sets the temp of the room at which the heating will shut off.
Cylinder Stat: Sets the temp of the DHW (at which it will stop calling for heat, & send power to the DHW off terminal of your 3 way valve)
Boiler Stat: Sets the temp of the water inside the central heating system, the actual radiator temp.

intersimi: it may be an idea to turn your boiler stat to 70, if the problem continues with no further sympoms it may be wise to change your boiler stat
mickeyw: Combi? sounds like you either have a proplem on a sensor or your flow switch isn't reseting fast enough. I am not familier with your boiler, if you have a facility to turn down the temp of the hot water do it, and see if it helps, is it actually shutting off while you are still running the tap or after you turn the tap off?

I think someone is at it!!! Over a thousand view?

Sime Super 90 is a combi boiler (unless I am getting confused). Temperature gauge showing 85 or 90 degrees does not mean the tap water will be at same temperature. Where does the cylinder come in (unless one has been retained to split hot water delivery between boiler and HWC)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back