Rushing noise in radiators, stops when hot tap's turned on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...Is this normal? It's worse in some radiators than others, and it stops as soon as I turn any hot tap on. I don't remember this happening in the past. I'm concerned because we had a problem in the summer with the radiators spontaneously coming on when the hot water taps were turned on (even though the heating was switched off at the boiler.) The repairman corrected that problem by replacing a couple of things including the divertor valve(?) and this rushing sound is now making me wonder if there might still be a problem. Surely there shouldn't be any water actually going into the radiator when heating's on,(aren't they already full of water?) and why would the hot tap stop it?? Huge thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Sponsored Links
Although there is a bypass built into the alpha it is only there as an emergency measure against completely incompetent installers. Your system does really need an auto bypass. The sound you are complaining of is probably the trv's almost fully shutting down so that the pump, which doesn't slow down, keeps walloping the water through the small space left by the almost completely shut trv. An autbypass would be adfusted to start compensating at these moments.

It stops when you run the hot tap because the newly fitted correctly working diverter valve shuts off the flow through the radiators and sends it all to the domestic side of the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Paul. Do I need to get something done about it? The noise itself doesn't bother me; I'm just worried in case it's a sign of a problem (or something that might develop into a problem if not attended to).
Thanks again for replying.

This is what is happening in my system with a Alpha HE CB25/33

Could someone offer a solution to the noise problem?

Thanks

The system might be full of air after the repair. Have you tried venting rads?

one rad should be TRV free, usually the one in the room with the roomstat, leave this one on and your noise should be gone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back