New MonoBlock Tap Fitted But Low Pressure On The Hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I live a council ground floor flat and I've just paid for my own kitchen upgrade with new sink and mono block tap. Problem is that my hot water pressure is running quite slowly, and the cold is running good. The hot water is supplied from a tank in an airing cupboard not much higher than the hot taps themselves! Also the mono block pipe fitting tapers from 15mm down to 10mm copper pipe. The cold is direct mains fed!

The hot water pressure in the bathroom is Ok to the bath and wash basin, however these are single taps with 15mm connections.

I tried turning off the cold mains 'stop tap' to see if the hot would then run any faster out of the tap on the kitchen sink but it didn't. This was to check if the mains pressure might be overpowering the hot - but it made no difference.

Now I’m thinking of fitting a home booster pump, but I’m looking for ideas / help? Anyone advise?

Please get in touch!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have fitted high pressure taps onto your low pressure(tank) system.

radioman49 said:
I've just paid for my own kitchen upgrade with new sink and mono block tap.
Anyone advise?
As namsag has said, the tap is the wrong type for your installation. It has therefore not been installed with reasonable care and skill.

This thing of fitting monobloc taps on gravity taps is getting beyond a joke - everyone's at it. The waterways are too restrictive, and so is the neck of the supply pipe where it screws into the tap.

You have three choices:

1. Demand (as is your right) that the installer supplies and fits a two hole mixer tap that's suited to a gravity-fed system. The law is on your side with this, and if they refuse then you can have the tap replaced and take them to court to get the money back.

2. Forget the installer and just have the work done at your own expense.

3. Fit a pump to the hot supply. A single impeller pump would do, but if you put it on the entire hot service then get one that's suitable for constant running otherwise it will have a very short life.

BTW, if you fit two-hole taps then it's likely that you'll need a different sink.

Thanks for your help and advice. To be honest with you, the whole kitchen sink / tap, cabinets and work surfaces were all chosen and purchased by partner from B&Q.

At the time, and with not knowing about these things, we went for the monotap sink and monotap fitting as well. In hindsight we didn’t even thinking about the pressure issues! My fault really I suppose.

Anyway, the kitchen fitter did the installation of our equipment for us, and he did a good job.

We are now looking at fitting a home booster pump perhaps. As you say this might be the last and most feasible resort for us.

The pumps that I’ve looked at are Newteam and Grundfos pumps. I’ve included some links to pumps that I’m looking at. Please advise on perhaps which one I should go for – if you don’t mind? The Grundfos UPA 15-90 looks promising but does it give enough pressure increase?

Can you advise on which Newteam pump I should go for anyone? Some say Grundfos are better than Newteam – what’s your thoughts on that?

Many thanks

http://www.grundfos.com/web/homeuk.nsf

http://www.h-i-e.co.uk/cgi/sh000001...newteam_shower_pumps.html#a1_211270#a1_211270

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back