Poor Idling Golf MK 3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI I have a problem with my VW Golf Mark 3. Car runs well when moving but when it becomes stationary the revs drop and the engine cuts out. It appears the car does not idle. There are no fluctuations in the revs but engines just cuts out! car was last serviced 6 months ago and does not do a lot of mileage have even taken it on the motorway to stretch the engine a bit and clear out any crud that has accumulated. Does anyone know what the problem maybe?? many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What size engine? What year?

Probably the ISV or an air leak on the manifold

Size of engine is 1600cc and engine code is AEE. Year is 1998 R reg. Many Thanks

Probably a dirty throttle body then. May be possible to clean it with some carb cleaner which you can buy from halfrauds for a few quid, but ideally needs taking off and cleaning, then the ECU resetting.

Sponsored Links
^Neo^ thank you very much for the help. Can I ask 1 more question after cleaning the throttle body how is the ECU reset???? many Thanks

It's plugged into a computer to reset it.
It used to be possible to disconnect the battery for half hour or so, but not sure if yours is too new for that :confused:
www.clubgti.com/forum will tell you for sure

Stepper/Idle Motor?

Not sure about the setup on a golf, but I know that various cars have stepper motor that controls idling. These can sometimes need a good clean, or possibly replacing. A faulty stepper can cause the car to idle low and cut out, or very high or even hunt during idling.

I'd check that out too.

Back