ok to tile onto painted plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read loads of posts on this, but can't seem to get a definitive answer.

self explanatory question really. My walls are currently part tiled and the rest is painted plasterboard.

I'm going to take the old tiles off, then re-tile. Where it isn't tiled, can I tile straight onto painted plasterboard?

I've thought about battoning and putting plywood on the walls, is this generally accepted as a better surface to tile onto?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yep - no probs doing that as far as I know.

At least I have done this in the past on 2 bathrooms that were tiled half way and need full floor to ceiling tiling for a shower.

The bond will only be as good as the bond of the paint to the plasterboard.

Test this by applying a strip of gaffer or carpet tape to the painted surface, press down well. Peel off after to mins if the paint stays on the wall its OK if it comes off with the tape then strip the paint off.

If you are going to overboard then use another layer of plasterboard or better still take all the plasterboard off and fix a new single layer then tile straight onto that.

Jason

i agree with jason with the tape test, another way around it is to score the plasterboard with a scraper or screwdriver to give you a key to the board(act the same as a scratch coat before rendering)should b fine. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
cool, cheers guys. I think the bond of the paint id fairly good.

I'll do the tape test and score it as well.

When i tiled my bathroom i wasnt to keen on tiling over the paint on the skimmed plasterboards, they were heavy tiles i was using. I used a wallpaper steamer, this took the paint off really easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back