Thermostatic mixer shower

Sider said:
Joe 90 has got it right. :D

I can understand where you are coming from sider but the reply mike80 made was both obsene and un called for

Sponsored Links
Sider said:
What did mikey say anyway.
Have I missed it ??.
It was along the lines Harry the Hamster video on youtube.com. Go there and search on it.

Apparently youtube have no problem hosting it, It is vulgar yet funny and belongs on youtube, but it doesnt belong on DIYnot especially in the manner it was posted.

I was going to post the link but I'd probably get grief from the moderator.

If anyone else wants to take on the 'Wrath of the Mods' then go 4 it at our own risk

1.Make sure that the hot water is 60 degrees cent min.
2.Ensure that the pressures on hot and cold are similar. If the cold is reducedtoo much it will reduce the max temp of the mixed water.
3.You may find that if you remove the control knob that there is an adjustment for the maximum temperature down the spindle. Adjust it with the shower fully on.

I didnt know you could play around with thermostatic mixers.
Are they not factory set ? What happens in summer after someone has played around with the factory set calibrations when someone jumps into the shower and thinks he will be receiving water at 39C but instead is scalded with something like 60C.

Sponsored Links
In many cases it is essential that thermostatic showers are set up(calibrated) after installation to compensate for the conditions that exist on site which may not be perfect. Failure to ensure that the shower is functioning correctly, ie shuts off before 43 degrees if the cold supply fails or reduces etc., could potentially lead to the shower not functioning correctly and as a result scalding could occur. Qualified proficient installers will know this and would make the necessary modifications as required to suit the mixer and the site conditions. Once set up the shower cartridge will automatically adjust for changes in supply such as flow rates, pressure, temperature of hot water or cold summer to winter.
NOTE: Not all thermostatic showers will operate in all conditions and care should be taken to ensure that the correct model is fitted.

beardedgeoff wrote

Qualified proficient installers will know this and would make the necessary modifications as required to suit the mixer and the site conditions. Once set up the shower cartridge will automatically adjust for changes in supply such as flow rates, pressure, temperature of hot water or cold summer to winter.
djust

Still dont see why the internal parts have to be played around with.
Any I have fitted the manufactureres instructions have NEVER stated that the valve has to be stripped apart and set up or adjusted and they worked fine.
Would have thought you would be voiding the warranty by meddling with them anyway.
Are you saying all thermostatic shower valves leave the factory and are unable to compensate for ( changes in supply such as flow rates, pressure, temperature of hot water or cold summer to winter. ) as you put it.

Beardedgeoff wrote

In many cases it is essential that thermostatic showers are set up(calibrated) after installation to compensate for the conditions that exist on site which may not be perfect.

Conditions like a colder incoming mains supply in the winter or unbalanced supplies caused when other people use other outlets in the premise while someone is showering ??
So what happens in the summer if the valve is adjusted for winter conditions ??.
How does a qualified proficient installer set the valve up for unbalanced supplies or mains pressure fluctuating at different times of the day perhaps.

I did not suggest any "stripping apart" or that "all are unable to compentae etc" however some do need adjusting. If you did as I suggested and checked their function at installation and found them to be OK, I am sure that they needed no adjustment. Not all showers can be adjusted. Some supply flow restrictors or regulators, suggest balancing valves or other additional fittings. All of the details are usually in the instructions, however, no-one reads them until they have problems.
Secondly
"So what happens in the summer if the valve is adjusted for winter conditions ?" I already answered, once set up the shower cartridge will automatically adjust for changes in supply such as flow rates, pressure, temperature of hot water or cold summer to winter.
"How does a qualified proficient installer set the valve up for unbalanced supplies or mains pressure fluctuating at different times of the day perhaps". You will, no doubt have checked various things after installation, would you like to give me a list of the checks you run through and how you do them and I will be happy to advise if I feel they could be improved upon. On the other hand I will help if you do not know how a test you wish to carry out may be done on site.

beardedgeof wrote
You will, no doubt have checked various things after installation,

I checked jack shi@t. I was a cowboy installer.

would you like to give me a list of the checks you run through and how you do them and I will be happy to advise if I feel they could be improved upon.

I could detail these but I would get tired typing. :(

On the other hand I will help if you do not know how a test you wish to carry out may be done on site.

Nah ,thats OK. Would prefer to remain a cowboy installer and undercut guys like you. :LOL:

I thought as much.
I also doubt that you could do a list of checks anyway but I hope that you don't fall foul through ignorance as I am no installer. I just sold my shower company for mi££ions.[/img]

beardedgeoff wrote

I am no installer

Thought as much. Doubt you would be able to compete anyway as an installer.

I just sold my shower company for mi££ions.[/img]

I actually install very little now. The property I own is worth millions and I dont need to sell it . :D

Thanks beardedgeoff. Very helpful. Nice to know someone knows their stuff. Thanks again.

As far as I can see, BeardedGeoff knows what he is talking about.

As for Sider, I am confused because in some threads he claims he is not an installer and is a DIYer; on this one he is an installer. A millionaire one at that. :LOL:

To the best of my knowledge, Gainsborough were/are part of the Aqualisa group and their products are made on the same production line at Westerham. I saw them being made there last year!

Some Gainsborough shower mixers have the renowned Aqualisa cartridge inside but are differentiated by cheaper external fittings. It was Aqualisa's way of getting into the DIY shed market without cheapening their brand.

The Aqualisa thermostatic mixer cartridge itself has gone through a number of updates; once they had a different model for gravity and pressurised, but now it is the same cartridge and the mixer body can be fitted with a restrictor washer on the cold water side.

Might be worth giving Aqualisa tech a ring, or chcking your shower body is the right way round and has the restrictor fitted correctly, or not at all if it is on a gravity system. And the pins are set up, if it has the Aqualisa cartridge.

simond wrote[/b

once they had a different model for gravity and pressurised, but now it is the same cartridge

Aqualisa thermostatic shower have three cartridges which they call their "opto"range. Gravity, Combi and high pressure and all colour coded to differentiate them.

May I ask some advice? I've just been told by a bathroom fitter that I need to get an expensive low pressure mixer as my combi boiler HW pressure isn't too great (CW is fine, 20ft of head) I am new to the world of showers so I my plans to just get the cheapest from Plumbworld just went into touch!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back