Gloworm 30cxi HW problem & power flush - Surrey/Hants ar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house (2 bedroom / 7 rads) is about 20 years old. We moved in 4 years ago and in 2004 the existing gas CH/HW boiler was replaced by a Gloworm 30cxi combi, and the hot water tank and header tanks removed etc. The bathroom radiator was removed and a towel rail radiator fitted instead.

Recently we noticed that the hot water supply is not as hot as it used to be. On closer inspection I discovered that no matter what the hot water temperature dial (usual set at 'eco') was set on the hot water would always come out of the tap at the same temperature, just below what I would consider to be hot. I have noticed that the initial flow seems to be hot which made me think that the pre-heat is working correctly but maybe the flow of water isn't being regulated enough. Central heating seems fine, rads are nice and hot.

Homeserve engineer arrives today, I wasn't at home but I spoke to him over the phone, and he said that the heat exchanger is scaled/clogged up. He has drained off a sample of the CH water which is ale coloured with darker sediment at the bottom. Apparently the HE is linked between the CH and HW, and the HW side is more susceptible to clogging.
He has recommended that we get the CH system power flushed before they come back and fit a new HE (at our cost). He did also mention that a power flush might also clean out the HE and negate the need for its replacement. Also mentioned on the paper work is that they will change the 'Sam block' when called back to do the HE.

I've done a quick search on here for power flushing and seen the varying responses. When the Gloworm was fitted the guy doing it said he would flush the system and refill with the necessary chemicals etc. Either that wasn't sufficient because of the contamination we have now, or it did require a proper power flush before the new boiler was fitted. We have never had to top up the CH system; the pressure started at over 1 Bar and has been on 0.8 for about the last year. I have had to bleed the towel radiator once or twice, maybe a few months after it was fitted. The little dribble from the bleed valve was green, which at the time reassured me that it had something like inhibitor in the system.

I am willing to pay for a power flush, and after researching on here, fit a magnaclean(?) if this will help/stop/resolve the situation for the next few years. What are the expert’s views? Are there any expert plumbers on here that can quote on the above and offer a guarantee and all the necessary paperwork? I will also be after a service for the Gloworm. We are in Surrey, between Guildford and Aldershot. I've tried the 'Find an expert' search and nothing comes up for plumbers in our area.

Please feel free to ask anything that I may have missed off this post and thank you for your views and responses.

Regards. Trevor

Sponsored Links
Also mentioned on the paper work is that they will change the 'Sam block' when called back to do the HE.

You mean "Sani Block". Glowworm have been replacing that part on all them boilers free of charge.

It's like a ticking timebomb just sat there waiting to fill your house with mains pressure water.

Give Glowworm a ring, they will replace it for you.

It's a Sani block, which Glowworm know about, it can leak/spring one at anytime if not updated to their current mod. The plate to plate/domestic HW exchanger, is prone to scale, however the DHW thermistor is the first thing to check.

Homeserve? Who are they, exactly. :D

You mean "Sani Block". Glowworm have been replacing that part on all them boilers free of charge.

Thanks for the correction. I can't read the engineers writing.....

Trevor

Sponsored Links
did the installers not flush it when they installed it?

PS I am in surrey ;)

corgiman said:
did the installers not flush it when they installed it?

He said he did, and the greeny liquid which I got when I bled the towel rad a few months later seemed to inspire me with a bit of confidence. It is just the ale brown liquid and sediment the guy drained off today which seemed to show that something isn't right.

corgiman said:
PS I am in surrey ;)

Cool. Is this something you wouldn't mind getting involved with? Shall I send you an email?

Trevor

BoxBasher said:
Gas2Air said:
Homeserve? Who are they, exactly. :D

Stetson, chaps, spurs and boots... oh no sorry, thats a different comboy outfit :D

Lol. Hey, if I can find a friendly, excellent & local plumber who can be called upon at short notice for when the Gloworm breaks down then I will be very pleased to rip up the Homeserve contract....

Trevor

Gas2Air said:
The plate to plate/domestic HW exchanger, is prone to scale, however the DHW thermistor is the first thing to check.

Could that be related to why the HW temperature dial makes no difference to the temp of the hot water....?

Trevor

pixmax said:
Lol. Hey, if I can find a friendly, excellent & local plumber who can be called upon at short notice for when the Gloworm breaks down then I will be very pleased to rip up the Homeserve contract....

Trevor

Sorry,

Know somebody who had a very bad experience with one of their "emergency plumbers" called out from their plumbing insurance.
I think the insurance ones in my area are just subbies under the name. The one guy had been working in a sports shop in trafford Centre up until 2 months previously and his labourer was just out of school, possibly even work experience. Certainly not time-served or highly qualified. Even the cement they mixed for re-instatement cracked after 3 days...

They didn't even cut plastic pipe to length, just bent it into the fittings and left it bowed...

"""I think the insurance ones in my area are just subbies under the name. The one guy had been working in a sports shop in trafford Centre up until 2 months previously and his labourer was just out of school, possibly even work experience"""

Dont expect to get anyone very good from that kind of cheap insurance policy.

They are usually barely adequate at best. The only good thing is that they will keep on coming when you complain.

Last week I went to a Worcester 9.24 and fixed it for £84 after the insurance co had been three times and then declared it irreparable!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back