Help - Leaking radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaking radiator. I have turned off both valves to stop water entering the radiator and am trying to drain it off. For some reason, though, water is still coming out (so far, a washing up bowl of it).

The leak appears to be on the pipe between the balance valve and the radiator itself.

Any ideas how I can stop this thing leaking in the short term?

Sponsored Links
How big is it?

There is a lot of water in a radiator.

If you open the bleed nipple is water still coming out even after you have drained out loads?

If not just keep draining, it will stop.

Okay, thanks for the reply. I'll persevere.

It's a single, standard rad, about 1.5 meteres in length

Hmmm, water still pouring out of the rad. How long can this go on?

I took off the bleed valve and water was shooting out. It's as if the radiator isn't isolated, despite me tightening up the lockshield valve

Well, looks like I'm going to have to get a 24hr plumber (= very expensive) if I want to go to bed tonight.....

Sponsored Links
Yep, did that. Admittedly, it is an old radiator, but surely I should be able to isolate it......

was one of them a thermostatic one

how big is the rad there may be a lot of water in it to come out

Best tie up the ball valve in the Feed & Expansion Tank (if you have one) or make sure the filling loop is turned off (if not).

It is possible your old rad valves are not sealing tightly.

Yes, one is the thermostatic valve. The other is the lockshield valve (I think that is what it is called. Turned them both clockwise until they wouldn't turn any further.

Rad is 54'' x 24'' (just measured it!) Currently onto 2nd washing up bowl of water.....

I will really resent having to get a plumber out as we have one booked in early December in any case...

JohnD said:
Best tie up the ball valve in the Feed & Expansion Tank (if you have one) or make sure the filling loop is turned off (if not).

It is possible your old rad valves are not sealing tightly.

Okay, thanks for your reply, but I have no idea what these are. How might I turn of the 'filling loop'? I'm guessing the feed and expansion tank is the thing in the loft (not even sure we have one). Have to say I'm tempted to turn off the water at the mains so that I can at least go to bed!

Sorry for my ignorance, but then I guess it is people like me that keep plumbers in business!!

do you have a small tank in the loft?

if so tie up the ballvalve so that no water can get in

corgiman said:
do you have a small tank in the loft?

if so tie up the ballvalve so that no water can get in

Nope, no tank in the loft. If I turn off the water at the main, will that stop it for tonight? How long would I have to wait until it stopped leaking?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back