The right Breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new range cooker fitted,the manufacturer has sent me details of the electrical supply installation.And reccomend 6mm cable and protected with min 40amp fuse.I have enough room in my consumer unit for another breaker,but can anyone advise on the right/best breaker i.e "C" Type or "B" Type,and would a 40 amp breaker suffice? Many Thanks Maerwood

Sponsored Links
Type B will most likely suffice, the 6mm cable on the other hand depends on how it is installed and its length. What is the KW rating of the appliance? Please note that this work is notifiable to your LABC under part P of the building regs.

right, few things here.

what is the power (kw) of the cooker?

40A mcb sounds a bit silly for 6mm cable to my knowledge, usually a 32A for a cooker to protect 6mm cable.

indeed the cable probably wont be up to the 40A so im suprised theyve suggested this setup. this all depends on the cable route of course.

type B breaker will do the job here.

sorry to say it but.......part p. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the speedy reply!
Exact wording"The supply from the fuse box must be with minimum of 6mm sq, cable and be protected with a minimum 40 amp fuse"
The appliance cat gives the oven's total power rating is 8.6kw.
And distance from the fuse box is approx 2 mtrs,just the other side of the wall.
Maerwood

Well i make that nearly 36A at 240volts so fitting a 32A breaker would probably be no good as if you had it running at full capacity (xmas day coming up!) then it would probably trip the breaker.

i think you need to be looking at upgrading the cooker circuit cable to 10mm. i havent got the regs to hand at the min but i reckon 6mm cable would only be rated at over 40A if clipped direct so you need to look at how your cables installed.

if it was me though id be upgrading the cable. doesnt sound like too much of a hassle if its only a few metres.

Thank's,now i've got an idea of what needs to be done i'll ring an electrician.
I know i'm asking alot but any idea of an estimated cost for this?
Many thanks Maerwood

steady on, you'l have lynda (forum mod) on your case! :LOL: :LOL:

see forum rules.

sorry not really got much idea about cost, am an industrial spark (as you might have guessed). one of the other guys might be able to give you an idea but without actually seeing the job its hard to say.

wouldnt have thought it will be ridicoulous though but whatever way you were going to have to get a spark in to fit the new mcb in order to comply with part p so nothing lost really. make sure you get a spark registered to a scheme such as NICEIC and make sure you get the paperwork and certs from him.

Just to throw a spanner in the works.... :LOL:

36A over 2m....6mm2?

Should romp it, no?

After all, if it were a shower, we happily recommend 6mm2 up to 8,5kW and around 15m, wouldn't we?

Granted, 10mm2 would future-proof the cooker install.

Suppose its down to the spark he gets in, its his call. see we dont know the method of install.

me personally i think going up to 10mm will be the better option because id consider the 6mm borderline for 40A mcb plus as you say securespark, its then future proofed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back