New radiator temperatur unequal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone suggest any help with the following. i have replaced 2 radiators with new doubles. one is fine but the other seems to be unequal in temperature across the top than the bottom (top hot, bottom cooler). I know there is no sludge in the system as the whole system was jettted when a new boiler was fitted 3 yrs ago. also, when I replaced the radiators, the water was very clean. I have also cranked up the pressure and bled everything to within an inch of its life. I have a dual flow TRV and checked that it is set in the correct direction (the valve is on the ouflow). I think I have tried everything but the only thing that seems to solve the problem is turning off all the other rads and cranking up the boiler through just the problem rad, but the problem persists once I turn all the other rads back on. could the TRV be faulty?

I'd be really grateful if someone could suggest a possible solution

Sponsored Links
not sure if that would be the problem...the new radiator is the same size and the last one was a double also, just an older one without fins

I'm having this problem also with a new rad, the new one is a double where old was a single but I had an engineer out to fit it so am hoping he did it all properly.

I'm in the process of flushing the system to make sure it is not sludge. When instructions say water runs clear does this mean as clear as water from the tap or a slightly yellow colour?

Sponsored Links
when I say clear, I mean clear for a central heating system...it basically yellowey grey as you normally get with a system not too old...

Sounds like you need to fine tune the balancing of your rads.

The lockshield valve on the left hand side (usually) needs closing down on the hottest rads, these are usually the ones nearest the pump or the ones upstairs. I would leave the lockshield on the rad your having trouble with fully open and close the rest down a bit (it only takes a quarter of a turn to make a difference) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back