Gas or electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a house that needs a fair bit of work doing on the central heating system.
It is gas at the moment but I am wondering whether to go all electric.
Some points to consider are pipework around the house, availability of gas supplies in the future, price of gas in the future, efficiency of electric heating, flexibility of electric heating, cost of electricity, gas safety, maintenance, ready supply of hot water.
Does anyone out there have any opinions to add to the discussion between myself and 'er indoors'.

Many thanks

Tim

Sponsored Links
to make electricity ..........they Burn Gas :LOL: ........which now comes from Russia , `cuz N.Sea`s running out :rolleyes: .........and all our COAL mines were shut by Th****er :confused: :LOL: or :cry: Storage rads are still big a.f.a.I.k. maybe the sparks forum know better

Gas heating is cheaper than electricity.

As Nige says, since most electricity is generated by burning gas and running steam engines (of a sort) which has some inefficiency; and there are additional losses and inefficiencies in transmission and distribution, it is very unlikely that electricity will ever be cheaper than gas.

Due to the inefficiencies and losses, it is also more environmentally friendly to burn the gas in your own home than to pay someone else to burn it a hundred miles away and carry the electricity to you.

Sponsored Links
yep as said electric is around 3 times the price per kwh

we now have 2 pipe lines comming from abroad which will bring prices down but for now we have to wait for prices to fall [as they will]

most companys buy there gas on fixed contracts over fixed terms so the competition wont kick in till the present contracts expire

price drops are expected within the year

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back