High Pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently moved into a flat with a sealed system? for hot water and central heating. I had a few leaks in hot water pipes caused i'm told by the presure in the hot water system being too high, this also led to the seal in the expansion cylinder starting to weep. My plumber sorted the leaks and replaced the weeping expansion cylinder then determined that the pressure restricting valve? from my mains was failing and this was causing the pressure in the hot water system to get so high (up to 7 or 8 bar according to the guage on the pressure restricting valve).

Even having replaced the presure restricting valve when I put the hot water on to heat the pressure guage creeps up to 4bar and my plumber told me it should never go above 3. It doesn't seem to go above 3.2 bar when I just have the CH on?

I am really worried about more leaks due to high pressure, I live in a 1st floor flat and have caused the woman below two floods already, can anyone tell me if this 4 bar reading is normal?

Thanks for any help,
Alastair

Sponsored Links
As far as I'm aware the pressure should be approx 1 bar when cold and it would increase by approx 1 bar. The pressure relief valve is pre set to around 3.5 bar. If you have left the filling loop attached it may well be leaking across and allowing the pressure to increase.
You can always lower the pressure a little by bleeding a radiator.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back