Hairline Cracks................

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have cut some holes in the ceiling( they are large square holes for speakers) I noticed after that there was around 3 or 4 hairline cracks near where I have cut out the plaster board, They are not strait cracks, so not the board joints, they are the Zig Zag type, and I have looked it is the skim and not the board cracked.

I have found the end of all of them and placed a tiny pilot drill in to stop them chasing any longer.

What is best to fill a crack like this?

Some say just a standard filler, as they should not move again.

Some say a flexible filler put on with a wet spatula ( can you put normal filler on top if you don’t get it flush?)

Thank you

Darren

Sponsored Links
Whatever you use I reckon is going to end up showing..ordinary filler might crack again, you get a lot of movment in a ceiling...in fact caulk might crack too.

Id use ordinarly filler and then line the ceiling

Hello

This is not the other cracks I was talking about, but where I had cut holes.

Darren

Sponsored Links
sounds like the plaster has blown where you disturbed it cutting the holes..Or. You got the bass up on the speakers :LOL: :?: I would'nt worry too much as long as they are, only hairline. Polyfilla interior is good for this. Dont leave too much on surrounding areas.. myself I press a dollop into the crack and scrape off with me filling knife leaving no filla on surrounding area.. when it goes off a bit you may notice the filla shrinks into the crack. simply fill it again it wont shrink again and no sanding required.. ;)
good luck .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back