Joist hole size for plastic pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a recommended drill hole size when threading 15mm plastic pipe through timber joists? Presumably it shouldn't be too close to allow for expansion but I don't want to go unecessarily oversize either.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Flinstone said:
Is there a recommended drill hole size when threading 15mm plastic pipe through timber joists? Presumably it shouldn't be too close to allow for expansion but I don't want to go unecessarily oversize either.

Thanks.

Been a while since I went to college but I believe you are not to go below one eighth of the overall depth of the joist. Why go thru joists when you can just notch out the top? If you are asking what size hole you should drill to accommodate a 15mm pipe I would should suggest 19 or 22mm.

From an engineering point of view the best place to drill a hole is in the middle. There is zero stress from compression/tension at this point. If you drill an inch hole in a horizontal scaffold pole it will easily support your weight - but if you notch it by an inch - it will collapse.

An 18mm should be fine, (depending on your Joist dimensions of course). If you're putting 15mm pipe through you'll need a bit of slack to allow you to push/pull the pipe through into position. If its too tight you could damage the pipe pushing/pulling. So I'd say 18mm.

Sponsored Links
18mm is fine if you want to turn an easy job into a really difficult one.

Otherwise just use a 25mm auger bit.

Softus said:
18mm is fine if you want to turn an easy job into a really difficult one.

Otherwise just use a 25mm auger bit.

22.5 spade bit.. just to be contrary..

but how are you going to get a spade bit and drill in to drill a level hole ?

breezer said:

You won`t get a drill anywhere near a joist let alone level unless you are first fixing, it won`t fit, if I had the advantage of talking to people who had a clue I wouldn`t have to explain it.

breezer said:
That's the whole point - an 18mm hole is nowhere near big enough. :rolleyes:

gentlemen.

I already knew you cant get a flat bit and drill in between joists, my question was meant to be sarcastic

Softus said:
breezer said:

Nope , you were too busy rolling your eyes :rolleyes: you can`t get an auger bit between joists either matey ;)

Bamber gaspipe said:
you can`t get an auger bit between joists either matey
I agree. I never said, or implied, that you can get a level hole with an auger.

Softus said:
breezer said:

Can you expand on your whole point? If you don`t mind?

No Bamber - I'm not going to entertain another session in which you warp a topic into an opportunity for abuse. Either you understand already, or you never will. That's my last post on this topic, so go ahead and do your worst.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back