Radiator furthest from boiler not working????? please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone help me.

I live in a 1st floor flat which is long and narrow. I have a Potterton Puma combi boiler situated at one end of the flat (next to Kitchen) all the raditors in my flat become hot once the heating comes on except the one in my living room at the other end of the flat.

I have bleed all the heaters in the flat. And even had a go at balancing the system by switching off all the raditors one-by-one starting with the one closest to the boiler. This did temporarily solve the issue with the radiator heating up. However as I switched the others back on it soon stopped the raditor from working.

This radiator did work last winter and i am very keen to getting working again as the living room is too cold to sit in

Any kind of help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
do what you did again but only crack the valves open a fraction this time .........and have a look in the wiki on the site here

Thanks Nige F.

I had a look at the Wiki site but what exactly am i looking for as it doesn't really say much about balancing heating system with Combi boilers. I'll have another check a bit later.

From your reply It sounds like I got the balancing theory right but the practical side of things needs a little refinement.

Will give it a bash tonight.

Thanks for now.

Hi

Make sure the f&e tank has water in it.
Otherwise might be sludged up.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
f it is a seald system on a 'small' circuit you should have ne probs. Whats the circuit pressure?

Tincup.

Not sure that i have an F&E tank as we live in a single level Flat.

Where abouts would such a thing be located? I remeber having one in our old house but that was up in the attic. Thats where i understood that type of thing to be located.

Please could you elaborate

Thanks

bster.

What is the best way to check the circuit pressure?

I have had a quick look at around the boiler unit. It does have an LED which comes on if the pressure is low but so far that has remined idol, so i guess all is well in that department?

Unfortunately i am quite new to this and have been just trying out fixes suggested on other peoples threads..

Let me know if i'm doing something wrong.. Thanks

Well it looks as if the heating is back up and running.

Just one final query though ....
I have completed the first phase of the balancing heating system process as per Nige F's earlier comments on this thread.

I have one-by-one closed all the valves on the already working radiators to get the faulty one up and running. I then, one-by-one slightly re-opened all the valves.

All the radiators in the flat now work fine as of this late and last night and when the heating came on again earlier thismorning. Can i now proceed to fully open up the valves on the already working radiators, or should they remain slightly reopened?

Wouldn't want to undo all my good work. Please can somebody comment

The point of balancing is to restrict the flow on the hottest radiators to make the water flow round the cooler ones instead.

If you open up the hotter valves then the water will go through those again and you cool radiators will go cold.

You might think about giving the system a clean and flush if the circulation has deteriorated over time, as this may be due to sediment build-up.

You could also think about fitting thermostatic radiator valves, as these will automatically close down the rads in the hottest rooms when they reach temperature, so forcing the flow into the colder rooms.

As you have a combi boiler with a pressure indicator it is not likely that you have a F&E tank, your system will be filled and pressurised with a pipe to the mains water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back