Minimum size for ensuite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Thinking about putting an ensuite in main bedroom cupboard and was wondering if there is a minimum size required for such - i.e regs.
just planning on having a basin & shower tray in there.
Do i need to inform council? Or when i sell - can i say it was already there before i moved in?

Also
Have had a plumber round and they said waste has to be pumped (waste pipes otherside of house) are these pumps ok i.e noise / reliability etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
common sense not regulations will govern the size.

don't use a mincer (saniflo) as they are noisy and prone to breaking down. very messy. these should only be used as a last resort.

ctfrancis said:
Hi all,
Do i need to inform council? Or when i sell - can i say it was already there before i moved in?

Also
Have had a plumber round and they said waste has to be pumped (waste pipes otherside of house) are these pumps ok i.e noise / reliability etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.
The work needs to comply with building regs & if your having a shower in there, its classed as a special location so any electrical work in there is notifyable, will come under Part P regulations & needs either a certified electrician to do it or BC to inspect it & a part P spark to test the work it & issue a certificate; if you can find one prepared to do it. It’s a real pain I know! You may get away with saying nothing but not complying with the electrical bit is an offence & is it worth loosing a future house sale & the expense of getting it retrospectively tested & passed by BC & all the problems that could involve!

I considered a macerator pump in my en-suite but couldn’t find anyone who had a good word to say about them so in the end I had a new soil stack & drain connection; even more expense & testing for building control!

Macerator :mad: :oops: :evil: :rolleyes: there are several corner wc/basin units for extremely small rooms :idea:

Sponsored Links
I've just built a bedroom / ensuite. It's 2.5m wide, and I wanted it to be 1.25m deep. The architect said that the 'minimum' it could be is 1.5m and drew the plans to that.

I've just put the stud-work up at 1.4m - and to be honest I wouldn't have wanted to go any smaller than that, having seen it in real life.

Thanks for your advice....

Am having second thoughts on it all, will spk to an estate agent to see if its worth it when i come to sell vs cost of installation - also bearing in mind the neg feedback about the pumps!
May just install seperate shower in existing bathroom, cause there is room.
Chris

Sep. shower in b/room is a good idea.....helped sell my last house :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back