Hot bath tap flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into my first house (and so am not DIY friendly yet!!) and this morning the hot bath tap is only a trickle. Its been absolutely fine over the past month. And also the tap feels a bit stiff. To try and figure out what was going on I put the cold tap fitting on the hot one and it works fine. Could it just be something as simple as I need to buy a new fitting?

Sponsored Links
Does the hot tap operate in the same way as the cold, ie number of turns from closed to fully open, stiffness of operation etc?

When you say cold tap fitting do you mean the actual tap itself? OR just the internal mechanism?

Yep.

You'll need a spanner/shifter or a PipeWrench. If using a Wrench you need tp be careful you don't damage the tap cover. Use a bit of material or better still, a bit of leather (such as a Chamois) between the wrench and the tap cover to protect the chrome finish.

Turn off the Hot Water. Use a screw driver to remove the head of the tap (the bit you use to turn the tap on and off). There should be a screw to the side of the head or it may be underneath a disk on the top of the head. Use your screw driver to prise out the disk to get to the screw then unscrew that screw.

Now unscrew the tap cover (Headgear Nut) using your wrench. Once that's off, unscrew the Headgear (the valve inside the tap). Both unscrew Anti-Clockwise BTW. You can replace the whole headgear. Pop along to B&Q with your old Headgear and ask the Plumbing section Geezer to point you in the right direction. Simply replace with new and replace headgear cover, tap head etc. Turn water back on. Job done :D

The cold tap is nowhere near as stiff as the hot one. Also, the hot tap needs more turns to operate (the hot water is nowhere near as gushing as the cold water).

When I say I tried to the cold fitting on the hop tap I mean I swopped the actual tap ie. the bit I actually turn.

Sponsored Links
Right, I hope its as easy as you make out! Im off to B&Q!
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I still cant get the washer off this tap!!! Ive bought a mole grip to assist but no joy!! Its stuck tight!! Any suggestions anyone??

I think you would be far better off going to a local plumber, or to an outlet that supplies taps.
I had similar type problem, went to the plumbers got help he then sent me to a tap shop.

just need a pair of "tap revivers" from PTS or bum center or plumbase

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back