Storing wet oiled based paint brushes - water or BrushMate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone recommend how to store wet gloss or undercoat brushes when not in use? To save cleaning them every time?

I've heard storing them in water or using a BrushMate vapour container is the best?

Could anyone recommend a way? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Leaving em in water is fine for a few days

A brush mate is good but pricey, a cheaper alternative is to buy the refill ssachets and put them in an old tupperware box with the brush.

Wrap em in cling film in between jobs they will be fine for a few hours

Sponsored Links
He's tight as a duck's bum that Zampa! The Brushmate (4 or 20 brush) have holders to keep the brushes seperate and they are very good. I had a 4 brush one, then bought a 20 brush. Put one brush in it then packed in working for myself. It's sat in my garage now (still with the one brush in it)....... shame.

I would only need the Brushmate 4. I could add a few clips to the tupperware container. Paint "Brushmate 4" on the front - would anyone know the difference!?

Any places online where I can buy the pads (ssssachets!!) from cheaply?

only ever seen the pads at brewers or the ddc's may be cheaper to buy the pot from B&Q thats used to store the brushes and only costs a few quid and then buy a bottle of brush mate fluid from the above shops. It will last you longer than the pad as well.

Top Tip too, add a few drops of the fluid to your oil base paint if you won't be using it for a while and it will never form a skin.

D.S.D said:
Top Tip too, add a few drops of the fluid to your oil base paint if you won't be using it for a while and it will never form a skin.
Quote from the leaflet in the Brushmate 20. ;)

Thats becasue the stuff itself is the anti skinning agent thats added to paint, too much and it will never dry.

[/quote]Quote from the leaflet in the Brushmate 20. ;)[/quote]

Thats where I got it from GCOL :LOL: works too.

gcol said:
He's tight as a duck's bum that Zampa! The Brushmate (4 or 20 brush) have holders to keep the brushes seperate and they are very good. I had a 4 brush one, then bought a 20 brush. Put one brush in it then packed in working for myself. It's sat in my garage now (still with the one brush in it)....... shame.
do you want to ebay it .........I`m after one and I`m tighter than Zampa ;)

:LOL:

Surely im not the only bloke who scrapes the dust together after I have been rubbing filler down to make some more..?

Thanks Chaps for the info and the top tips. I like the recycling filler one - never need to buy another packet!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back