Cold Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a tennement flat and have replaced all radiators. All heat up except the large on in my living room which is cold at bottom and slightly warm at the top.

I've been doing up my bedroom recently and took the radiator off to replace with a new one, I change the valves two nights ago and connected the radiator (but didn't open valves) last night when I put on the heating my living room radiator was BOILING hot which was great. This morning I opened the valves on the bedroom radiator prior to getting a carpet fitted. Now the livingroom is back the way it was :( I have just closed the valves in the bedroom again to see if the living room would heat up, but it hasn't.

I really don't get how it was so hot last night. Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have now tried turning all other radiators off (there are only 6 in total) After doing this the cold radiator got hotter, but not as hot as it was the other day, it was still colder towards the bottom. The pipe at the TRV end is boiling and the other one tepid.

I still can't think of a reason it came on so hot during the week, but at least I know the radiator itself is not the problem.

Look in the FAQ post above for rad problems. May need to balance your system :D

Cheers, I looked at the FAQ but thought that since the one rads not working properly when all others are off then I might have a different problem.

Sponsored Links
I read the following about balancing CH systems -

"The general idea is to reduce the flow to the hotter radiators so that more water flow is available for the cooler ones."

I have a question about this, I have turned off every radiator in the house except the problem one and it still didn't heat up properly (although it was hot for a day last week) I would have thought that by doing this I was reducing the flow to all other rads in the system. Is it unusual that this radiator would remain cold at the bottom or am I missing something?

Thanks

mmcmahon said:
cold at the bottom
sounds like it is sludged up, take it off and put a hose down it. and or chemical treat the system as per the sticky, if all else fails get the pros in for a power flush.

Are the valves both open or does it have a trv that is sticking :?:

Turn all other rads off and feel both supply pipes (after running boiler for 10 mins). Both should be hot, if not then you have no circulation and as smithson suggested, you have sludge.

Look at the FAQ section on rad probs which should point you in the right direction :D

Removed the lockshield valve and had lots of clear water flow out, sounded like some air too, I'd obviously bled radiator and didn't get any air out the top. Is it possible there's been air trapped elsewhere?

Turned heating on again, will see if there's a difference.

No difference in the heat. Could it still be slufge if clear water pours out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back