Flexible gas pipe with bayonet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A plumbing supplier told me that bayonet ended flexible connections for gas hobs were no longer permitted.

Is that true ?

I am planning the re-building of our kitchen cabinets and having rigid pipe work to the hobs would seem impossible to install.

( gas pipe work will be by a CORGI plumber, I am just planning it )

Bernard Green
Sharnbrook

Sponsored Links
No it isn't true,some hobs can be installed with a flexible supply-manufacturers instructions should be considered which i'm sure your RGI will do,but piping in with rigid pipework shouldnt be too much of a job for the experienced engineer.

chr15 said:
No it isn't true,some hobs can be installed with a flexible supply-manufacturers instructions should be considered which i'm sure your RGI will do,but piping in with rigid pipework shouldnt be too much of a job for the experienced engineer.

Wouldn't say you were wrong but a rigid pipe should be used,
Have you got any idea which hob will allow flexible connections?

Sponsored Links
sime10 said:
chr15 said:

Wouldn't say you were wrong but a rigid pipe should be used,
Have you got any idea which hob will allow flexible connections?
Not off the top of my head and it may be that regs have changed to say all hobs to be rigidly piped,but I do remember a couple of years ago fitting one which said it could use a flexible hose if required. I would agree that rigid pipework is always the best option.

The Manufaturers instructions will say if you can use a flexible or not.

It does not contravien any regs.

doitall said:

yes it does after 20th november 2004 a rigid pipe MUST be used

Fit a hob last week and manu/inst stated it could be fit with a flexible hose.Still did a rigid fix though.

Does this mean the CORGI inspector could get me to go back and change it because I have not followed manu/inst.

I thought only flexi hoses were permitted if the appliance may need to be moved for cleaning purposes, acceptable on a free standing cooker, but how many people clean under their hob? Doubt very much corgi would pull you on fitting with rigid pipe as the MI`s state that it COULD not should! I only fit them with rigid, and fit an isolation valve to the service pipework.

sime10 said:
doitall said:

yes it does after 20th november 2004 a rigid pipe MUST be used

Oh Dear :eek: :rolleyes:

BS 6172:2004.

There has been little change to this part (gas connections) of the standard, other than the document now clearly states that a hob should be connecte to the gas supply via a rigid fixed connection, unless otherwise stated by the appliance manufacturer.

Note: where a rigid connection is used, a means of isolation and disconnection should also be provided.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back