My "whistling" Sharan has lost its power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My car has been "whistling" for the last few days and this morning has just lost most of its power. Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking of an air leak round the filter, perhaps a rubber boot has split. Have you had a look under the bonnet yet?

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing it's a diesel,and the developing noise is a leaking pipe between the turbo outlet and the intercooler.This has suddenly split/blown off causing the loss of power.Also,another thing to check is the flexible pipe between the air filter and the turbo inlet.These can go too soft with age and be sucked flat,causing similar power loss to leaks on the pressure side.You won't be able to see this happen,but it does,I have seen it several times when engines have been running at power on a test bed.

yes2mud said:
I'm guessing it's a diesel,and the developing noise is a leaking pipe between the turbo outlet and the intercooler.

I agree!

Thanks i have had to get it towed to garage so hopefully it is a split hose and not anything worse

If its a Sharan with the 1.9TDi and the turbo goes, you and everyone behind you will know about - the smokescreen is pretty impressive!
It might be the MAF, they do tend to go on those engines and power drops really noticably when they do.

EDIT : OP was in 2006! Wonder what it was after all?

Sponsored Links
Back