applying BAL wp1 shower tanking kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower tray has been fitted by knocking out the plaster at skirting level and pushing the shower tray "into" the wall space.

The shower tray has a vertical lip around the edges, presumably to provider something for the wall tiles to overlap. Would it be a good idea to apply the tanking to this vertical lip on the shower tray as well as the wall above, and to stick some of the reinforcement tape bridging the two? Would this be a good way of waterproofing the gap between wall and tray or should i just use sealant (or both??)

Sponsored Links
Personally, I'd apply DC 785 to seal the top of the upstand to the part of the wall the meets the top of it, then tile down past the upstand to a height of 2mm above the tray, then when the tile adhesive is set apply a bead of 785 into that 2mm gap.

I'd stick the tray to the wall with mastic then as you say run a strip of the tape along the wall/upstand junction. That way any water that gets through the tile will run down the takning and find its way back into the tray.

Jason

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice... just want to check that i've understood correctly: i should mastic around the tray and then apply the tanking directly onto the shower tray's vertical lip and bridge the tray/wall join with the tape?

Yes

Put some masking tape onto the flat part of the tray to keep the primer and tanking off, easier than trying to clean it off afterwards.

Jason

as jase has said , but take you time , mask of the tray ..an dont rush tanking the walls , 24hrs to dry ..
dont try cleaning rollers, bin em ;)

ok, will do! is a roller the best thing to use to apply it?

I used foam rollers an brushes ...

but use what Tanking Manufacturers Say....on tanking as your a virgin ..;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back