Ideal W2000 boiler can't get pilot light going!

ODB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

hope some kind soul can help:

I went on holiday last week and came back to find no hot water or heating. After a little faultfinding the pilot light refuses to light. I have followed the instructions on relighting it but it sounds like no gas is coming out near the pilot. Is there anything simple I can try? Maybe there's a blockage in the nozzle or something? It seems to be sparking fine but won't light up at all!

When I went away I turned the heating down to 15 degrees to come on once a day for an hour, so it wasn't turned off completely and I have not had a problem with it for as long as I have been living there (nearly a year).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ODB

Sponsored Links
I assume that you have a credit meter and a working gas cooker? In other words a gas supply!

There could be several problems with the gas valve or pilot light. However as these all require a person who is competent to work on gas and normally CORGI registered for safety reasons I cannot give you detailed instructions.

Tony

SOLVED!

Did a bit of poking around on t'Internet and I think I've cracked it.

Gas supply was working fine with the cooker so I was pretty sure it wasn't that. No meter or anything.

It said on the instructions to turn off the electricity supply to the boiler so to be sure I turned off all the leccy. I then scraped around the pilot light gas feed to see if it was blocked with a pin.

I had tried turning off the boiler but hadn't tried turning ALL the electricity off before so I am not sure whether it was my fiddling with the pin or the fact that I turned absolutely everything off that did the trick.

I pressed the pilot light gas thingy in and could hear gas (whereas I could not before). Took a while to spark it but it eventually caught. Turned on all the electricity again, set the heating etc and all appears to be ok.

Thanks for the help and fingers crossed!

Where on the internet did some idiot suggest poking a pilot with a pin?
Absolutely stupid thing to do. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
Where on the internet did some idiot suggest poking a pilot with a pin?
Absolutely stupid thing to do. :rolleyes:

To remove any blockages. It appears to have done the trick though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back