Tiles, painting, and filling...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, a few questions that I thought I'd ask in the same thread as I didn't want to clog up the board. I'm decorating the bathroom and need a bit of advice before I jump in feet first.

1. I've removed the lining paper from the walls, had some re-plastering done and made good the rest. So, I plan to paint directly on the plaster. Can I use matt emulsion for the mist coats and then use silk to finish?

2. The ceiling had been painted and some it flaked. I've removed the flaky paint and sanded those areas. Will it be OK to paint on the celing and should I mist-coat these areas?

3. The bathroom is part-tiled and as far as I can tell, there are two layers of tiles. I want to remove only the top layer as my walls a plaster and lathe and the whole wall will come down with the tiles. My question is, once I remove the top layer what is the best way to make good the surface beneath so that I can then re-tile?

4. (Last one, promise!) I have a vent in the wall that is made of plaster that I want to get rid of - I also have an extractor fan so it's no loss. The plasterer I had in said to just fill-it and smooth it over as removing it is very fiddly due to the nearby location of the fan. Can anyone recommend and easy-to-use material to fill in the vent so it looks smooth? I thought about using that polycell smoothover stuff but it gets very bad reviews.

Sponsored Links
I should add that the vent is about 20cm x 20cm. If it can't be smoothed over what is the best way to fill the gap it will leave when I remove it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back